• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Releases OS X Lion

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Disagree. It's not like we're talking terminal hacking here. There's enough of a reason someone would need to get to their Library folder that they should have at least made it a preference item.

And if the Library is so dangerous, why didn't they also hide the main system Library?

I do agree. What if a PList gets corrupted? How do we tell people to fix it without access to that folder? There is a terminal command to unhide it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Disagree. It's not like we're talking terminal hacking here. There's enough of a reason someone would need to get to their Library folder that they should have at least made it a preference item.

And if the Library is so dangerous, why didn't they also hide the main system Library?
The system Library folder would have been left visible presumably because you need elevated privileges to modify it.

The user rarely, if ever, needs to go messing around in ~/Library. We've both seen how often people make posts asking for advice because they deleted something they shouldn't have. Now, granted, nothing that I know of in ~/Library will break your system if it was deleted. Still, you can have prefs reset and other minor inconveniences. So I agree that nothing in there will destroy your system but having it hidden prevents those who are unfamiliar with it from messing with things they probably don't need to be messing with.

As an aside, they also made it harder for users to get to the root directory.

Bcn

Reaction score
Regarding the trackpad, I always used 3 fingers to jump back and forward in my web browser. It seems like they have removed it completely in Lion, or is it just me that is blind?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I started download at 11:55am PST and it took an hour to complete. Maybe lengthy due to time of day??
Install took another 40+ minutes. My MBP is summer 2008, just before the unibody version came out. So, maybe that's part of the long install time. ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2ghz c2d, 180gb vertex 2 ssd, 4gb ram
Man, Spotlight took FOREVER to re-index. Even after it did, it kept briefly starting up the process each time I rebooted.

I manually forced an index rebuild and now it seems OK. Weird issue though - I wonder if it's a bug.

Spotlight is hilarious, takes no time at all on an SSD. Gotta get on the train, CWA!

Reaction score
Regarding the trackpad, I always used 3 fingers to jump back and forward in my web browser. It seems like they have removed it completely in Lion, or is it just me that is blind?

I also can't find the feature (I believe it's expose) where you could swipe away all open apps and just see your desktop. The ability to bring them all on screen to click between is still there, but the four fingers swiping down no longer clears the space.

Anyone got ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

It's now 2 finger swipe left/right

But it seems to work only on Safari but not Firfox like in SL..

Bcn

Reaction score
I also can't find the feature (I believe it's expose) where you could swipe away all open apps and just see your desktop. The ability to bring them all on screen to click between is still there, but the four fingers swiping down no longer clears the space.

Anyone got ideas?

I very much liked that feature, it's really a shame imo.

To see the desktop, you have to use four fingers, swipe three up to the right corner and your thumb to the left corner of the trackpad. At least that's how it works for me.

Hope I explained myself, sorry for my English.

Bcn

Reaction score

Thanks, just checked and worked in Safari. Normally use Firefox, but oh well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" 2.4 Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB
In the system prefs you can go to trackpad and edit some of the gestures. Put it back to 3 finger swiping is what I did because I don't use safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Anyone got ideas?

I have to go under Mission Control>Hot corner>Set one of the corner to show desktop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...

Certainly doesn't work in Chrome either.

So, is there a way to go back to Snow Leopard? :)

Go to System Preferences, then Trackpad, then to More Gestures. You should see a down arrow to the right of "Swipe between pages." Click on it and select the 3 finger swipe. There are a lot more options with the other gestures too!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

changeable via system preferences to go back to 3 finger, which i did immediately upon installing the first preview. works fine in all browsers as 3 finger. just tick the pref.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" 2.4 Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB

Anyone got ideas?

The opposite of launchpad. Instead of pinching with 3 fingers and thumb you open with three fingers and thumb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I very much liked that feature, it's really a shame imo.

To see the desktop, you have to use four fingers, swipe three up to the right corner and your thumb to the left corner of the trackpad. At least that's how it works for me.

Hope I explained myself, sorry for my English.

to clarify, it's like the pinch for launchpad, except in the opposite direction. 4 fingers exploding outward from the center.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'm liking the new downloads tab in Safari. The old downloads windows always used to find away to hide from me. Not any more! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, just checked and worked in Safari. Normally use Firefox, but oh well.

Just found a solution. Go to Trackpad preference>More gestures>Under 'swipe between page' > select 'swipe with 2 or 3 fingers

Firefox should now work with the 3 finger swipe, Safari with 2. I haven't tried Chrome yet.

Chrome works with 3 also.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.