MacBook Pro 15" Backlight not working

Reaction score
After having my macbook pro 15" for two years I made the mistake to spill a little bit of coke on the upper left-hand side of the keyboard. I got the coke off asap, and the computer worked sufficiently for about ~10 minutes before the backlight went dim. I can faintly the the desktop and holding a flashlight to it helps to see, but any video watching or work is quite impossible. I tried doing a lot of the quick fixes, but none worked. It stays dim even with brightness all the way up, so I decided to take it to a Mac store where I'm studying abroad in France. The quoted me an 1800 euro fix, which seems retarded as a new Macbook 15" is 1700ish. I'm gonna wait to get back to America (15 days) to fix it but was wondering if you had any advice for me? Or how much it might cost. Warranty is gone at this point.

The backlight is dim, the computer is fully functional aside from being too dim. Plays music etc..

I'm not sure if the correctly diagnosed it, maybe they didn't understand the screen worked and thought it wouldn't turn on. Either way I'm just looking for a little advice. and Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Apple store in France likely quoted a price which includes replacing the logic board. Taking it into an Apple store here in the US will be less expensive but probably still more than what you would want to pay. Liquid spills can be devastating to electronics and I suspect a US Apple store will likewise say you need a new logic board.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can check around the various authorized Mac repair sites, but from memory, the average price to replace the logic board is around $600 to $700. You may be able to get it done for less so shop around when you get back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.