lion and Time Machine

Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance but here goes...
I am going to upgrade to Lion but I want to go down the clean install route.
At present I am using the latest snow leopard with all my data ie photos clips movies music etc all backed up by time machine.
So basically once I have installed Lion - how do I 'restore' my Mac from time machine so that it is as was so to speak...

Thanks for your help

James

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
It will ask you if you want to restore from a backup during the install, just select yes.

However, if that's your plan, you may just want to run an upgrade to Lion first, then backup with Time Machine, then wipe it and do the clean install.

Reaction score
Please help. I have no idea about any of this stuff....

I do not have everything backed up by time machine. I have many pictures, videos, documents, and apps I must keep. Do I need to back everything up somewhere before downloading and installing Lion? Or will it just roll everything into Lion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
It's an upgrade, it will keep all your stuff.

Now, with that being said, if something goes terribly wrong during the install you could lose all your stuff without a backup. It's always important to backup your important files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
It will ask you if you want to restore from a backup during the install, just select yes.

However, if that's your plan, you may just want to run an upgrade to Lion first, then backup with Time Machine, then wipe it and do the clean install.

I guess I still don't understand. Sorry.

If Lion is an upgrade how do you do a clean install? I thought you had to install Lion over the top of Leopard? I'm new to this game and apparently am missing something. If you wipe your HDD aren't you in essence deleting the Lion upgrade? Where will the Lion software come from to install on the computer? I must not understand this at all. Is it actually the complete operating system and then you will install from the Time Machine backup to your just formatted computer??

Regards,

Pat

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.