One iTunes: Multiple AppleIDs and iPads

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm getting ready to roll out 5 iPads to users at work. I would like to install iTunes on a single laptop, and activate each of the iPads with one Apple ID per iPad. Does anyone know if that's possible with a single install of iTunes?

I know you can essentially "log out" of your iTMS account in iTunes, but I'm not sure what would happen if I then connected another iPad. Would it prompt me to sign in or create a new account for that iPad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Good question. I know I did this with the very first iPods (30GB photo/video) that my wife and I purchased almost 7 yrs ago. I registered mine with my Apple ID. Then I signed out of my Apple ID and she signed in with hers and set up her iPod. Not sure if things have changed since then. We now share one ID so we can share apps/music. I'm leaning towards "yes, it will let you."

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If it works the same as an iPod then no. We routinely give away iPod Shuffles and sometimes Nanos in our business (loaded with preinstalled recordings that we made) and I was able to activate each one using the same iTunes account. (my account) The only caveat is that each iPod has to have a different nickname.

I can't say for sure if it will work the same for an iPad but I don't see why it wouldn't.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well, I experimented with it a bit. With an empty library, it seems to allow me to log out, attach the next iPad and then log in/create new account. I think this will work for my purposes. I'll report back on Thursday. Thanks for your input, all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.