Upgrading ram: apple, or myself?

zeb

Reaction score
I have a 2011 15" macbook pro. It has the 4gb of ram but I want to upgrade that to 8gb. Is it something that would be significantly cheaper (and easy) to do myself, or should I go to the apple store to have it done? Also, what is a reasonable price? The "geniuses" there didnt know how much it cost but said it was probably around $200. I appreciate any help, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
I did this with my 2011 13 inch, the job is a 5 min job, however note this: Get a good screwdriver, a REALLY good one that fits perfectly, you don't want to be striping screws or scratching them up,it's worth it your your everyday as well.

Be careful to just touch the board of the ram, not the contacts or the Macbook's motherboard, don't want to zap anything.

Some screws are diffrent and all are locktighted, beprepaired to use just enogh force and such, I found the lock tight that remains on the screws tends to make them want to only work in the hole they came out of.

Make sure the mac is fully powered off.
If you follow this, your total costs would be under $75. Heck with the money you save, you can go Optibay at the same time with an SSD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2011 17 sandybridge
take your time and you will be fine! lots of walk thro's on you tube if you want to see some one do it before you crack yours open .. Good Luck!

Reaction score
I have a 2011 15" macbook pro. It has the 4gb of ram but I want to upgrade that to 8gb. Is it something that would be significantly cheaper (and easy) to do myself, or should I go to the apple store to have it done? Also, what is a reasonable price? The "geniuses" there didnt know how much it cost but said it was probably around $200. I appreciate any help, thanks.

I guess it really depends how mechanically inclined you are. To buy the RAM itself from OWC, I spent about about $149.00. Then I installed the RAM myself. I have the same MBP you have. I upgraded both the RAM to 8 GB and put in a 7200 RPM/750 GB hard drive. This is the second MBP I ungraded the RAM in. If you have the money to spare, you can have the Apple Store put it in for you. For me it really wasn't an option (Apple Store close by).

Take Care and May God bless.

Ed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 3.4Ghz Core i7, 256GB ssd + 1TB hdd, 16GB memory, Radeon 6970m w/2GB
Reaction score
ifixit.com

awesome walkthroughs easy to do have done it for many macs myself literally only like 8 screws and like 2 buttons to push just be gentle!

OP
Z

zeb

Reaction score
I really want to save the $100...just scared! haha
Does it void all my applecare if I do it myself?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
I really want to save the $100...just scared! haha
Does it void all my applecare if I do it myself?

no, your applecare still intact, I have done with my own and my sister's. it is a piece of cake. Make sure you get the contact tight.

OP
Z

zeb

Reaction score
Is crucial the best place to get the ram?
Also, where did you guys get the right screwdriver?
I want to make sure I do this right.
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
craftsman from sears make sure it is a #0 philips screwdriver

OP
Z

zeb

Reaction score
On ifixit they suggest disconnecting the battery connector...is that necessary? The less things I need to disconnect and connect the better I will feel.

Also, they recommended a #00 instead of a #0. Is there a difference? Which one is best? thanks again for all the help, and sorry for being so stupid!

Installing MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Early 2011 RAM - iFixit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
On ifixit they suggest disconnecting the battery connector...is that necessary? The less things I need to disconnect and connect the better I will feel.

Also, they recommended a #00 instead of a #0. Is there a difference? Which one is best? thanks again for all the help, and sorry for being so stupid!

Installing MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Early 2011 RAM - iFixit

no difference between #0 and #00, you do not disconnect anything.

OP
Z

zeb

Reaction score
Thanks. Just bought the ram from crucial.
Appreciate all the help!

Reaction score
i dont think it is completly nessicary to unplug the battery. actully the one time i did unplug the battery is when mine stopped working.

BUT do make sure its not plugged in ( to wall) and is powered off and that you make sure you ground yourself you dont want any static electricity! dont were those big fuzzy socks!
i think you will be ok! i got my sset of screw drivers from walmart its a red box with 2 phillips and 3 flat i think works great! was only a few dollars

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.