events to album

Reaction score
I transferred a lot of photos from a pc ,already in folders, to iphoto.
They reside in events .
I would like to put them in folders in albums. How can I take advantage of the fact they are already divided and named in events?

C

chas_m

In iPhoto, you have a main library of photos. All the other "views," such as events, are just re-sorted ways of looking at your library of photos.

If you want to put photos into albums, that's fine ... but no photos will actually be moved or copied anywhere. Albums are just a "manually sorted" alternative view of the library of photos.

You can select the photos from an event and create an album to put them in, but again nothing is actually being moved or copied.

OP
T
Reaction score
I guess I'm very pc folder/file oriented.
All my photos from my pc were downloaded into ONE EVENT There are hundreds of subsections using the folder names.

I would like a command that automatically creates an album for each of these subsections using the name on it. Wishful thinking?

Is there a blog or book where I can read how to manipulate iphoto files.?
Not to edit the files but to move them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
When I import my photos I get an event for each folder. Check your iPhoto preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
I think the key to this is copying one folder at a time, so that iPhoto can separate each import as a separate event. It's been a while since I did it, but I seem to recall that's what we had to do.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Dear texasnana

There is a solution to your problem.

OK, all your pics are in one event.

Highlight the event. On toolbar Click "Events" and from the dropdown, Click on "Autosplit selected events".

This should then create a separate event for each day based on the date stamp of each photo.

You have the choice of splitting/separating the events by "hours", "day", "week", "year" etc depending on your preference and the number of events you want to have.

This does not take up any more space because in iPhoto, there is one library of photos. Whether you create Events, Albums, Smart Albums and so on; it is not copying or duplicating them simply rearranging them according to your taste.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I think the key to this is copying one folder at a time, so that iPhoto can separate each import as a separate event. It's been a while since I did it, but I seem to recall that's what we had to do.

I don't!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.