Frozen screen and startup login screen

Reaction score
My screen will freeze, but the mouse cursor can still move, but can't click on anything. Have to use the hard button to turn off Mac. Then it comes up to the login screen but mouse still won't work. Usually if turn off again and then return it on the second time around the mouse will be able to click on a login and it will go into the OS. It will work sometimes for an hour, sometimes several hours and sometimes only a short time. First I tried reseating my ram, didn't work, then I checked each one individually and still ended up freezing with each one. Then I took my old ram, which was good and it still froze up. The newer ram is over a year old, so it wouldn't be from installing new ram. Occasionally when starting up, I will hear one long beep, but it will go to the login screen or startup the OS even though it beeps. Any suggestions? I have an iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. I'm wondering if this is some kind of hardware issue because of the beep. If this may be something else, can you direct me to the appropriate forum. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
My screen will freeze, but the mouse cursor can still move, but can't click on anything. Have to use the hard button to turn off Mac. Then it comes up to the login screen but mouse still won't work. Usually if turn off again and then return it on the second time around the mouse will be able to click on a login and it will go into the OS. It will work sometimes for an hour, sometimes several hours and sometimes only a short time. First I tried reseating my ram, didn't work, then I checked each one individually and still ended up freezing with each one. Then I took my old ram, which was good and it still froze up. The newer ram is over a year old, so it wouldn't be from installing new ram. Occasionally when starting up, I will hear one long beep, but it will go to the login screen or startup the OS even though it beeps. Any suggestions? I have an iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. I'm wondering if this is some kind of hardware issue because of the beep. If this may be something else, can you direct me to the appropriate forum. Thanks.

Try booting into Safe Mode to see if the problems persist. If they do, boot from your install DVD to access Disk Utility. If the problems persist even when booted from the install DVD, then you have a hardware problem of some sort. If the problems do not persist when booted from the install disk, then you should Verify/Repair Disk from Disk Utility. Instructions here:
Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck

You should also run the Apple Hardware Test, found on the OEM install disks that shipped with your Mac.
The Apple Hardware Test

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you

Thanks. For some reason my #1 of 2 disks is missing so Apple is sending me another one and is due within the week. I figured I would need the disk. When I get it, I'll try the things you said. Meanwhile I hope this will keep coming up and working for a while. I'll write how it turns out once I get the disks.

Try booting into Safe Mode to see if the problems persist. If they do, boot from your install DVD to access Disk Utility. If the problems persist even when booted from the install DVD, then you have a hardware problem of some sort. If the problems do not persist when booted from the install disk, then you should Verify/Repair Disk from Disk Utility. Instructions here:
Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck

You should also run the Apple Hardware Test, found on the OEM install disks that shipped with your Mac.
The Apple Hardware Test

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.