Reset SMC on Macbook C2D?

Reaction score
I am trying to repair a Macbook (Model A1342 mid 2009) for a friend that spilled a bit of water onto the keyboard. I've done numerous Windows based laptops before and one Macbook before so I'm still quite new to the Apple laptops!

Anyways, I disassembled the Macbook and didn't find any evidence of water. Just to be on the safe side, I put a hair dryer to the mobo and back of the keyboard. I reassembled everything but nothing happens when I hit the power button. I'm wondering if I need to reset the SMC but I seem to see so many different ways of doing it and I'm a bit confused as to which is the right one. I've tried removing the battery and holding the power button down for 10 secs and pressing shift+control+option+power buttons but still nothing happens. Is there anything else I could try or am I SOL?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here is the Apple KB article which explains how to reset the SMC. LINK However, it sounds like the problem may be in the way the machine was reassembled after being taken apart. Go back over your work to make sure that everything was assembled correctly. Use the step by step diagrams available at iFixit: The free repair manual.

OP
C
Reaction score
I've checked the repair manual and followed the article to reset the SMC and I still get no response at all. Is there anyway to check if it is the logic board or the upper case or whatever else is the culprit?

I stopped by the Apple Store today and made an appt to have it looked at tomorrow. I'm sure they'll notice that I've opened the case before. Should I even mention that I've disassembled the Macbook? Will they be able to just diagnose the problem for me and I could buy the part to fix it myself? Or should I even bring it to the Apple Store to have them look at it?

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.