ipad app suggestions/questoins

Reaction score
Greetings all. New to the mac forums (in fact, I've never owned an apple product). With that said, I'm seriously considering picking up a new ipad within the next month or so. I'm an associate pastor of a church (a big part of my job is music related) and I'm wondering what apps you'd recommend for me. Anything from professional/organizational to gaming would be appreciated. (Concerning gaming, I'm wondering if there are any music-game apps that allow songs from my itunes library to be played in-game...kind of like audiosurf.)

As a side note, I see rumors of a new ipad potentially coming out this fall, or at least a 3.0 next spring with a resolution 2 x that of the current ipad. If/when I purchase an ipad, I hope it to last at least 2 years for me, if not 3. With that being said, would it be best to pull the trigger now, or wait until the apple pc in September to see what kind of product(s) may be offered as early as this fall?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
What kind of music apps? For creation and recording, it is hard to beat GarageBand for iPad ($5). Can't talk on the games part, never looked into those.

As for waiting - Murphy's Law of Electronics:
The day after you buy your equipment the next model will be announced/released.

The longest I would wait would be to see if they actually refresh the current iPad 2 to include new screens. No matter what iPad you get, expect at least 3 years of use, if not more, before getting the battery replaced. As for being able to use it, there should be no reason you cant. Now, upgrading the iOS will stop after a certain point and that is expected of any computer at the end of support life. My iPod Touch (Gen1) still works fine, I can still get apps for it but they have to be useable on iOS 3. iPod Touch Gen 1 does not support iOS 4.

you can go into iTunes without having a device and search for apps and stuff at any time. Or even better, use Appshopper.com and build a wishlist.

C

chas_m

Most games will let you substitute your iTunes library for the built-in music.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX
Being a senior pastor (although not senior in age LOL) my iPad (first gen) has been invaluable to me.

I do all my devotionals on it each morning as well as read books through Logo's free app that lets me access my Logo's library.

I preach from it each Sunday which helps a lot because I don't have pages of notes that I'm trying to keep straight.

There is just so much that you can do with it for ministry that I have NO problems recommending it for ministry purposes. I don't believe you'll be disappointed at all.

As far as when to pull the trigger, not sure I'll be much help there. I'm pretty new to the Mac world (having just bought my first Mac computer a little over a month ago) so I'm not that familiar with Apples release strategy.

OP
I
Reaction score
Being a senior pastor (although not senior in age LOL) my iPad (first gen) has been invaluable to me.

I do all my devotionals on it each morning as well as read books through Logo's free app that lets me access my Logo's library.

I preach from it each Sunday which helps a lot because I don't have pages of notes that I'm trying to keep straight.

There is just so much that you can do with it for ministry that I have NO problems recommending it for ministry purposes. I don't believe you'll be disappointed at all.

As far as when to pull the trigger, not sure I'll be much help there. I'm pretty new to the Mac world (having just bought my first Mac computer a little over a month ago) so I'm not that familiar with Apples release strategy.

Thanks. And yes, as an avid Logos user, having access to my entire Silver Edition library on the go is a big reason for me getting an ipad. Whether for small groups, teaching, or working with the music/arts team, I see the ipad being a great investment for ministry use. Thanks for sharing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.