What are downsides to this Backup Strategy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
I currently have a 1 TB drive that I currently have divided into 2 separate partitions. On one partition I backup using Time Machine and the other I use Super Duper to backup my entire system.

On a second hard drive I back up the system as a sandbox anytime the Snow Leopard software has an update or to test new software to make sure it works properly before I add the changes to the main system.

(I also backup data only to the cloud but that is a last ditch failsafe and an extremely slow and arduous process.)

I want to eventually eliminate the cloud backup because of cost but I want to ensure that I have the most robust backup process that I can reasonable attain.

I have data that I cannot replace thus the question. I seem to remember reading somewhere in the forums that having two backup routines to the same HDD is not good.

I don't have all the answers so I would love to hear what the experts and long time Mac users BEST backup strategy is. I CANNOT lose data so that is the end result desired.

Thank you.

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
2 backup apps to a single drive leaves you with 1 point of failure for everything. You never want a single point of failure for backups. Ever.

First: dedicate the whole drive to Time Machine. Let it do what it was designed to do and you will be OK.
Second: Data that absolutely cannot be lost, back up separately to some other media. I would recommend DL-DVDs (Dual Layer) - 8GB each.

OP
PatM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Brad for the ideas. My next question may seem naive but does Leopard already have the necessary software to burn the data to DL cd's or will this take added 3rd party software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
You can burn to DL with the software built in. However, it will format the DVDs to be read only on other Mac's. If this isn't a problem, then you don't have to add anything extra. If you want to be able to read these on a different OS, you will want to look into some other burning software that will allow you to use other file systems.

There was a discussion on this just last week, but I dont remember which topic it was in. It had something to do with people not being able to boot from a DVD of Windows 7 they downloaded and burnt from Microsoft. Check the "Run Windows on your Mac" section and see if it is there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
Hi PatM

The recommended optimum solution is called the 3-2-1 Backup Strategy.
Here is a link from Mac 101 describing it but basically it is:
- 3 copies of your important data
- 2 different media types or disks
- 1 copy should be stored off-site

Mac 101 | How-To: Setup a Reliable Backup Strategy For Your Mac

I hope this article helps.

DavidH

OP
PatM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Deckyon. Mac is wall I want to read from. The windows laptop has been relegated to bookend duty.

Tried your Link DavidH but couldn't get to the article. But I get the gist of it anyway. Thanks

Regards,

Pat

OP
PatM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Found the document DavidH. (I just love Google.)

Thanks

OP
PatM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 backup apps to a single drive leaves you with 1 point of failure for everything.

Is there anyway to take the existing Time Machine partition and enlarge it to the entire 1 TB drive without reformatting the drive and losing the existing Time Machine data, or do I essentially have to format the drive and just start the Time Machine backup from the new point?

Regards,

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go with registered SuperDuper on the external. This is then a bootable backup drive and Time Machine is not bootable.

OP
PatM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure what you are telling me. I use the registered version. Both Time Machine and SuperDuper are bootable on the external drive. I just want to eliminate the SuperDuper partition and allow Time Machine to use the complete drive but I want to do this without losing the existing Time Machine backups.

Pat

C

chas_m

The system I use is to have two local external HDs -- one for Time Machine, one for Carbon Copy Cloner (a similar program to SuperDuper).

I sometimes (not regularly) "archive" important documents to both DVD disks and cloud storage (I'm already a MobileMe member so I have room for some of this). The cloud stuff only gets "small" irreplaceable items like bookmark files, keychains, address book, that sort of thing.

The TM and CCC backups are automatic, I don't have to do anything. The small "cloud" stuff is auto-backed up by Apple's Backup app (for MM users).

If I had business or other important records of that nature on this machine, I'd probably also do a periodic "off-site" backup of stuff that doesn't change much or at all, but at present the only thing I have on my HD that would be "irreplaceable" are my iPhoto and iMovie libraries, and I feel well-covered on that sufficiently for the time being.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 MBP i5 2.3GHz 13" 8Gb Ram 120Gb SSD
I only have a couple of suggestions to add to what's already been said.

1. I keep my offsite backup in a safe deposit box (I update this at least quarterly or when I have significant, important changes)
2. I keep my onsite backups in a fireproof media safe (a Time Machine Backup and a bootable CCC backup, each on a separate usb drive)
3. I keep an extra backup of my most critical files that change frequently (primarily financial) on a thumb drive that I can just stick in my pocket and take with me

OP
PatM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all the good ideas. I am modifying my backup routine to take advantage of the ideas presented.

I have decided to put the Time Machine backup on the 1 TB drive utilizing the entire drive.

I have a second 500 GB drive that I will put Super Duper on. As well I will utilize a third drive (Not portable but a desktop drive.) that will be used as a sandbox. I rarely add programs to my system so I doubt that this will be utilized much thus the desktop rather than a portable drive. (And I don't need to spend anymore $$$.)

As well I will put the truly irreplaceable items on a CD and store them in my home safe.

Thanks again for all the ideas. I appreciate it.

Regards,

Pat

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.