a1151 part ID

Reaction score
I mothballed my old 17" MBP a two years ago and lit it up for the first time saturday. It started blowing magic smoke after about three seconds and was (unsurprisingly) very crashy. Opening it up showed that the thermal compound on the GPUs and CPU had crumbled into dust and spread out across the board presumably causing a short that trashed a pair of capacitors. I'm looking for the ID (capacitance and voltage) on C7680 and C7640 from a a1151 logic board so I can replace them.

Before the obvious is pointed out, the tags on them are too burned to read at this point.

Thanks in advance,
-Sandow

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You likely need a new logic board. You don't know what else has been taken out on that board plus the fact that you would be attempting to remove and replace components that are surface mounted. It's probably not worth messing with.

OP
S
Reaction score
Well I'm decent at surface mount repairs and a pair of capacitors is only going to cost me a buck at most. These are the big 7.5mm caps so they are easy to unmount and solder in replacements anyway. Given that the board is toast as is, I risk nothing by swapping the parts out. If those are the only things that went up in smoke, I'm golden. If not, I'm not any worse off and I can still send it out to a board repair shop for $200 which is way under the cost of a replacement board.

-Sandow

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like a plan that should work then. :) The only thing that I can suggest is to try to find a service manual for the machine one that will have a schematic layout of the logic board and show components. Apple service manuals are hard to find though. Here's a site that has service manuals for Macs but most of the hardware is fairly old.

You might also - as a longshot - go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up your model MBP and find the take apart or change out instructions for something on the logic board (fans). Their step by step procedures sometimes show a layout of the logic board. Maybe with a little bit of luck you can locate the bad capacitors and find out their value.

OP
S
Reaction score
No dice with any of those but I appreciate the leads.

I cleaned the residue off of one of them with a bit of alcohol and can get a read on its markings but the one next to it is a crispy critter. If anyone has a disassembled laptop and could snap a hi rez closeup of this area, that would get me the rest of the way.

Thanks,
Sandow

IMG_0392.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.