Finder not refreshing desktop in background

Reaction score
I have the problem that if I create, remove, or rename files on the desktop with a program other than Finder, it will not show up there before I switch focus to Finder. Very annoying obviously.

I have found from googling that this is an issue that pops up now and then, but none of the answers I have found are either irrelevant or about how to restart Finder, which also helps as one might expect, but only temporarily.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I have the problem that if I create, remove, or rename files on the desktop with a program other than Finder, it will not show up there before I switch focus to Finder. Very annoying obviously.

Perhaps, but also very logical. Switching focus to Finder is when you're telling it to "refresh". You want another app to tell Finder that. That's probably not gonna happen.

OP
B
Reaction score
Perhaps, but also very logical. Switching focus to Finder is when you're telling it to "refresh". You want another app to tell Finder that. That's probably not gonna happen.

Actually that's exactly what usually happens, as you will have noticed if you ever saved a file from any program to the desktop. As you probably don't have this problem yourself you can try it with a command like "touch ~/Desktop/test" in Terminal.app.

Presumably Finder monitors the file system for changes, but in my case it is for some reason failing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Actually that's exactly what usually happens, as you will have noticed if you ever saved a file from any program to the desktop. As you probably don't have this problem yourself you can try it with a command like "touch ~/Desktop/test" in Terminal.app.

Presumably Finder monitors the file system for changes, but in my case it is for some reason failing.

Try creating a new user, log in to that account, and see if the problem persists there. This will help narrow down where the problem lays.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.