• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Highlights from Apple's annual analyst meeting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Source: MacMinute.com

Highlights from Apple's annual analyst meeting
November 6, 2003 - 14:45 EST Apple held its annual meeting with analysts and investors at its Cupertino, CA campus on Wednesday. Several Apple executives spoke at the gathering, including Steve Jobs, CEO; Phil Schiller, senior VP of worldwide product marketing; Fred Anderson, CFO; Tim Cook, executive VP of worldwide sales and operations; and Ron Johnson, senior VP of retail. MacMinute has put together some highlights from the Q&A session with Jobs, in which he discusses Intel chips, DVR features on Macs, iPod and iTunes, the digital lifestyle apps, .Mac, Longhorn, and more.

Jobs first addressed a question about whether songs from the iTunes Music Store should work with MP3 players other than the iPod, or conversely, that the iPod should work with other legal music services.

"There's really little reason to [make iPod work with other services] right now. The iPod is the No. 1 selling MP3 player in the world, even compared to all of the little cheap Flash players that hold seven songs each," Jobs said. "Why should we work with another music store when we're working with the Microsoft of music stores? I'd rather spend our engineering dollars on enhancing the iPod and enhancing the iTunes music store."

Jobs also revealed that the iTunes Music Store "had over an 80 percent market share for all legally downloaded music on the Internet," according to new figures from SoundScan.

Jobs was next asked about porting Mac OS X to Intel architecture. "It's perfectly technically feasible to port Panther to any processor," Jobs said. "One of the great benefits of moving from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X was getting a far more modern technology that is platform independent. It's very easy to run Mac OS X on different processors. We're running it on the [IBM] PowerPC and we're very happy with the PowerPC -- but from the technical point of view, it's very easy."

"Right now we don't see a compelling need to switch processor families," Jobs said. "The stuff that's in the PowerPC road map is really good -- I can't talk about it -- but it's really good. We have all the options in the world, but the PowerPC road map looks very strong."

Jobs was critical of the idea that Apple should sell TiVo-like Macs similar to Microsoft's Windows XP Media Center, which combines TV and digital video recording (DVR) capabilities. "There is a small audience that likes this... We're not going to go that direction; we're going to integrate toasters, Jobs said jokingly.

He noted that people want big-screen TVs and do not want to watch movies or shows on a small computer screen. Jobs also pointed out that people use computer and TVs very differently: "Generally what they want to view on television has to do with turning their mind off," he said.

"We've always believed that this convergence between the computer and the television wasn't going to work." Jobs said that video recording is processor intensive and should be left to a standalone device. "When I want to record 'The West Wing,' I want to make **** sure it records 'The West Wing.'"

The Apple CEO talked a bit about the digital hub strategy and where it is going. "There are new categories of applications that people haven't even thought of yet that we are working on," Jobs said. "We have a lot of innovation up our sleeves when it comes to the digital lifestyle/digital hub class of applications -- a lot. You will be seeing some of it next year... very strong stuff."

Jobs said that Apple is out-innovating Microsoft, noting that the software giant still has years of work ahead of it with Longhorn, the next major version of Windows. "They're hoping in 2006 to be where we were with Jaguar," Jobs said, adding, "We're going to have a few more releases by then. We're going to be way ahead by then."

Jobs and Schiller also addressed a question regarding Apple's plans for the mobile phone market. Jobs made it clear that Apple still has no plans to enter the market, while Schiller went over Mac OS X's tight integration with Bluetooth phones. "We're way ahead of Microsoft in this area," Jobs said. "And since we're not trying to make our own phone, we're working with everybody and everybody wants to work with us. We have great relationships with handset manufacturers."

"We've turned .Mac from a money pit into a money maker," Jobs declared. He noted that critics said .Mac customers would not pay $99 after getting the first year at a discount of $49. "Our renewal rate was 87 percent... unheard of, higher than almost anybody's in any industry," Jobs said. "We've built ourselves the beginnings of a pretty good Internet services business."

Jobs said Apple is strongly focused on selling to existing Mac customers and to those who have not upgraded in a while. "One of our goals over the next year is to get our pro customers upgrading more," he said. "We've got a lot of G3s out there in use and a lot of early G4s, and a lot of customers still running Mac OS 9."

"With the combination of G5 and Panther, it's a great time for our pro customers to upgrade," Jobs said. "That's the No. 1 thing we're focused on; that's the lowest-hanging fruit for us."

My Comments: Lots of news!

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
:eek: STEVE SAID "****" :eek:
:D :p
Thats the first time ive heard him say a bad word...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Mac dude said:
:eek: STEVE SAID "****" :eek:
:D :p

That is not as bad as some of the other words he uses. I have read in various place that Steve does use colorful words in meetings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
rman said:
That is not as bad as some of the other words he uses. I have read in various place that Steve does use colorful words in meetings.
I mean... when he was doing the music event... hes like "THis has happened" pointing to the screen saying "**** Froze Over". And **** isn't a bad word! Its a place...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac dude said:
I mean... when he was doing the music event... hes like "THis has happened" pointing to the screen saying "**** Froze Over". And **** isn't a bad word! Its a place...

I don't mean ****, but the other four letter words.

lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i know, you mean words like

*gets banned*
:p

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac dude said:
i know, you mean words like

*gets banned*
:p

Yes, thoses lol :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
haha, ah yes. Ive heard things like that as well. Good ol stephen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
he's said worse.

Jobs slams retail buying; defends Apple stores

January 15, 2001 8:30 am

"Dealers in attendance told MacCentral that Jobs was colorful in his words and language, often uttering strong profanities to prove his point and show his anger at the problems his company faces on a consistent basis."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.