Dial-up internet problem

C

crystalgordon4

I use an iBook G4 with OS 10.3.9. I've had it for a year and a half and have never had a single problem until recently. I was connected to the internet via the 56K internal modem, as I've done since I've had the computer. I left the room for about a half hour, and when I came back I had disconnected from the internet. It does that occasionally, and I am usually able to just reconnect. This time when I attempted to reconnect, the modem made no sound, and a message popped up saying no dial tone was detected. I picked up my telephone to see if the phone lines were working, and the phone was making that beeping sound as if there was a phone left off the hook somewhere. When I unplugged the phone line from my iBook, the dial tone now worked when I picked up the telephone. I did this several times, and this continued to happen. When I attempt to dial up, it tells me no dial tone is detected, the telephones don't work, and then when I unplug the line from my iBook, the telephones have a dial tone as normal. All I can gather is that there is something wrong with my modem. I have no idea how to fix it or if it is even repairable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Have you tried rebooting the computer, then trying again? Sometimes the simplest things fix the strangest things. :black:

OP
C

crystalgordon4

Haha, yeah I rebooted, I used the internet connection wizard, I checked to see if other computers would dial up in case it was just my ISP, and the other computers connect as usual.. I've tried everything I can think of - I even turned it off and let it cool off overnight, thinking maybe, just maybe... but to no avail. I wanted to post so that I might get some other opinions or instructions for anything else I could try before I have to take it to the repair shop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
OK, some other things to check for and try first...

1.)Make sure the phone cord is secure on both ends, the jack and the computer
2.)Try another phone cord
3.)Try to connect using a different phone jack
4.)Do a permissions repair (might not do a thing, but always a good thing to try)
5.)Run the Hardware Test CD if you have one
6.)Trash all of your Internet Connect settings and prefs, reboot, then try setting them again from the beginning
7.)Try using a phone in the jack that you normally use the computer on

If those don't turn up any result, as a last ditch attempt you could reinstall the OS. This is a very extreme measure and should be left as the absolute LAST thing to do or try. Now, if you have done this and you still cannot connect, then you will want to call Apple or take it to a store to have it checked out.

OP
C

crystalgordon4

Yeah, I tried using another phone cord and connecting it from another phone jack. I plugged a phone into the jack that I had the computer connected to and the phone got a dial tone as normal. I'll try your other suggestions though, and thanks for the responses!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Actually reinstalling OS X isn't that extreme: You can select 'archive and reinstall' which basically only replaces the system files - your documents and settings are left alone.

But first I'd try a PRAM reset:
(http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13136 - read my iBook instant fixes thread for more information)

Hold down Command+Option+P+R at startup to flush out the parameter RAM - sometimes this can fix bugs in the hardware.

If that doesn't work, maybe also consider trying a PMU reset:
Shift-Control-Option-Power

Hold them both down until you hear a chime or the system boots normally...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 - The Latest And Greatest
How Then?

How are you on the internet then is it another Computer?

OP
C

crystalgordon4

I am on another computer, but as far as I know, my iBook is only having problems with the internal modem, so in theory I could still get online via ethernet or wireless internet if these were available right now.

I tried the permissions repair and deleting my internet settings and starting over. Still nothing. I'll try those new suggestions, and I'm really glad to know I can reinstall the OS without losing all my stuff.. I wasn't looking forward to backing it all up. Alright, thanks again for the suggestions, and I'll post later with an update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
Dial-up? What the heck is dial-up? lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro 3.06Ghz 7200RPM 500gb
I just had this exact same problem, you ever find out what was wrong with yours? tried all the suggestions. I was surfing the web, and it just lost connection. Tried reconnecting, nothing. Having all the same symptoms you listed.

OP
C

crystalgordon4

*Sigh*

I've tried all of the suggestions but nothing has worked.

This information may or may not help:
My modem did pass the hardware test.
I don't know if this is the case every time a modem doesn't connect, but the connection log says "connect script failed."

To make matters worse, the hurricane clean-up crew accidentally cut the telephone lines by our house, so now we have no cable OR dial-up there. Maybe eventually everything will be back to normal. Well thank you all for your help so far, and although it looks like I might have to take my iBook to the repair shop, I would certainly appreciate any more suggestions you might have to give.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
One other guess as I have seen this happen, You did not have a thunderstorm during the time you were away from your computer did you? A hit to the phone line by lightning can blow the modem and make it do exactly what yours is doing. I had several top of the line USR's that were hit and it blew in one case a little relay right where the phone line enters the modem causing it to short out the phone line! Any lightning strikes at all? Just a thought in case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I don't know if this is the case every time a modem doesn't connect, but the connection log says "connect script failed."

Go to system prefs> Network> Modem and select 'modem' (the last tab) and check the drop-down box to make sure the right modem script is selected: It should be Apple Internal 56K Modem (v.92).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.