Refurbished MBP vs. Brand New MBP

Reaction score
I am in law school, and the Gateway C140-XL that I bought 4 years ago isn't cutting it anymore. It runs too slow, the single hinge is kind of wobbly and I just need a new computer in general. I really want to get a MBP. The problem is... I don't have a ton of money to spend, although I do think a MBP will last me longer than just a couple years the way my past several PCs have.

I saw on the refurbished page that there is a 15.4 in, 2.0 quad core i7, 4GB RAM MBP released in February of 2011 on sale for about the amount of money I would have spend for the 13 inch with a 2.7 dual core i7. I'd like the bigger screen and the faster processor, and if its going to be pretty much the same price, then that sounds like a great deal to me. My issue... is that its a refurbished computer. I've read a few places on this forum that Apple refurbished computers are "virtually indistinguishable" from brand new ones. I really do believe that it will RUN the same as a brand new computer, but my question is... will it LOOK like a brand new computer?? I'm worried of getting a refurbished computer with small dents, scratches, etc. Has anyone on here gotten a refurbished computer, and if so, are there any aesthetic issues?

Also, is 4GB enough? I don't play games or anything on my computers. Honestly, it will mostly be used for writing documents, taking notes, surfing the internet and watching movies and keeping my music library on it... most of the time all at the same time.

Lastly, I read a few places on here about a free upgrade to OS X Lion. I hate to sound like a total idiot when it comes to computers... I've been a Windows person until very recently, and so I really know nothing about the Mac OS. Is this a new OS, or a new version of the OS, or what?

Thanks for any feedback anyone is willing to give.

Reaction score
I just purchased a refurbished 15 inch macbook 2 weeks ago from apple online. I was also nervous about the look of the macbook, however there is not one scratch dent or mark on the laptop. Looks brand new. I would recomend it 100%. I saved $400.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Pretty sure if you purchase the refurb after OS X Lion's release date that your refurb model would have Lion pre-installed. When I purchased one of my refurb MBP 13 a few weeks after Snow Leopard came out, it came with SL pre-installed, with all the pre-installed software updated. Like if it includes iLife, it would be the 2011 version, even if the refurb model was made in 2010.

I've made two refurb MBP purchases from the Apple site. Neither one had any mark, scratch, or dent on it anywhere. I would recommend getting a refurb only from Apple website.

Reaction score
If you want the larger screen, then yes get that MBP. Other than that, your needs do not warrant the priciness of the quad-core. But 4GB of RAM will be more than enough for what you do.

Refurbs from Apple can mean many different things. I think most refurbs are just returns of an already opened product. Either way you profit from the deal as they offer the same warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go for the refurb and with the money saved have an SSD put in. Have yet to have a lemon buying refurbs direct from Apple.

C

chas_m

I've never seen a refurb with any cosmetic difference from a brand new model, and even on this forum I've only heard one or two reports of refurbs that were VERY lightly different (one fellow had a few minor scratches on the bottom of his MacBook, but that's probably only because the Apple refurb guys didn't bother to check the bottom of the machine!).

Apple sells high-quality stuff. Your refurb will be very high-quality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
I purchased a 27" iMac in May of 2009 from the refurb page at Apple. The iMac looks brand-new and works great. I would buy another one again. Same warranty as a new Mac, you just save a few dollars.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2011 17 sandybridge
get the refurb you will be fine, same warranty - maybe get the apple care with the savings....

Reaction score
I got a refurb, used the extra money left for a mouse and protective case. No blemishes and hasnt given me a single problem since I purchased it, im happy:)

Reaction score
I purchased a refurb 15" MB Pro over a month ago it looks brand new. No problems with it so far. Saved some buck on it. I would do it again.

Now only if Apple could confirm if I'm eligible for the free Lion upgrade. When I called and asked they could not answer if my refurb qualified.

Reaction score
I purchased a refurb 15" MB Pro over a month ago it looks brand new. No problems with it so far. Saved some buck on it. I would do it again.

Now only if Apple could confirm if I'm eligible for the free Lion upgrade. When I called and asked they could not answer if my refurb qualified.

I just downloaded Lion on my refurbished macbook pro. I purchased it about 3 weeks ago. Just go to the up to date program and input the serial number. Should have no problems.

Reaction score
If you bought it after June 6th, you should qualify.

When I called and asked the support person I spoke with did not know if refurbs qualified for the free upgrade.

If I do qualify I assume my account at the app store will not be billed when I download. Correct? Or do I need to input a serial number or something.

What I really should do is start another topic as I'm way off the OP with this.
Sorry.

Thanks

Reaction score
You have to enter your serial number on the apple website. Here is a link for the up to date program...Apple - OS X Lion and Lion Server - Up to Date Program enter you serial number and you will be given a code that you can redeem for a free copy.

It asked me for my credit card info, however the price of Lion was coming up as free... I was never charge tho.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.