Earlier MacBook 17 - needs hard shell

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro8, 1 (13")
Hi, folks!

I'm a new MacBook user, just bought my first MacBook Pro 13" a week ago. I bought my husband the 17" MacBook Pro 4,1 in December 2008 - it has an aluminum case and silver keys. The current model has the black keys. In looking at the two models, I can see that the ports and jacks are laid out differently on the sides. Since buying my new MacBook, I ordered a hard shell to fit it to protect the aluminum case. Now that I'm aware of these shells, I wanted to buy one for my husband's machine. I can't find anything out there.

Anyone know where I can get a nice looking shell for it?

Thanks!

PS - I love my new MacBook! What the heck have I been doing all these years?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
My husband got his first 17" MBP a few months ago and got this Speck case for it. He's been very pleased with it. It's translucent, but not transparent, and gives the MBP a nice feel.

Speck case

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro8, 1 (13")
Thanks for the reply! Does your husband's new MBP also have the silver keyboard? The most recent MBP now has the black keys, and looks like it might take a different size shell/case. I've seen the translucent, love them. That's what I'd get for him if it's the right size and port configuration. Again, thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 MBP's don't have silver keys but I think the exterior size is the same. Measure the hubby's and the check out the Apple site for a comparison measurement if you think it won't fit.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro8, 1 (13")
Thanks again, Class77! As I've been searching the bazillion websites that carry these shells (Speck, etc.), most say "fits 'Unibody'" or "fits new 'Unibody' only" so I interpreted that to mean "the most current" MacBook Pro 17. But maybe it simply means "the one in the aluminum case, regardless of which keys it had." I'm thinking there's been three different versions of this MacBook? The first one, which probably looked like any other laptop, then the second one which is like hubby's with the aluminum case and silver keys, and now the most current version with the black keys. I'll just look carefully at all the inputs and drives on his machine, and look at what I see online to see if it looks like everything will be accessible. I'm making this molehill a huge mountain. Just order it, and if it doesn't fit, just send it back. Then punt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, all the aluminum Macs are unibodies. It doesn't matter if they have silver or black keys.

Order it from Apple or get it at your local Apple store. If it doesn't fit, send it back

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I have the Speck case as well. Just got it this past weekend, in fact. It does add some weight and a tiny bit in closed height, but overall, my piece of mind now is happier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
Yep, all the aluminum Macs are unibodies. It doesn't matter if they have silver or black keys.

Wait, this is Def. NOT true.
The Unibody macbook was 2009, his made made before that, it is NOT a unibody. Silver keys are never unibody machines, they have a completely different design.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.