Mini vs iMac

Reaction score
Any opinions, preferences? I have a small business and the compaq I have now, 9 years old, is ready to be replaced. My accounting program is windows and would prefer not to change. 3 other programs that I use for business are not offered for Mac. Both the Mini and the iMac would meet my needs. I just can't decide between the two. Have a couple of die hard Mac fans in the family convinced me to go Mac. Would appreciate some opinions. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
BTW, you may want to give more information, otherwise no one will be able to give you advice.

Reaction score
Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retire
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
I think he was being economical with space:Angry-Tongue:

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks Schweb for the guidance. This is my first post

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple since 1982, now: iMac 2.5 ghz, 500 HD, sandy bridge
I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

Where did you move it to?

Reaction score
I have mentioned this on previous occasions.
It's necessary to have moderators, but PLEASE when you guys move a post, PLEASE tell us where you moved it to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Hmmm... Apple Desktops...makes sense right...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
First of all, let me caution you about moving your business to a new platform, especially if you are planning to maintain your current key applications. Macs aren't a silver bullet, they aren't a panacea, they're a tool. And if the tool doesn't do what you need it to do, it's not the right tool. I've said before, a cheap screwdriver will drive a screw better than the most expensive, most well built, and most highly regarded hammer on the market.

As far as cost versus benefit of an iMac vs. MacMini. You're going to have more power, larger hard drive, better video card and more up to date hardware on the iMac. In addition, if this is going to be a computer used "front of house," i.e., where the customers will be, as seen on television and movies, iMacs are eye candy - people are just naturally drawn to them. If this is going to be an office system, visual aesthetics don't matter as much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2
The Mini's are due to see a refresh any time now. I would and see what sort of updates they get. But if you can afford them the iMac will do everything you need it to do, plus you could likely VM windows for using some of your current applications.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.