Intel HD 3000

Reaction score
hi

i was wondering if any one has used the intel hd 3000 on the macbook pro 13 2011 for gaming or really any other video card demanding processes.

im wondering how much upgrading the RAM up to 8gbs wich would bumb the video ram to 512mb would help while gaming and doing any other video task

just wondering if any one has any experiance or could explain to me alittle better what video ram does. if it helps picture quility and fps in gaming or video editing. or what ever the **** video RAM does

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
According to Apple, the base memory of 4 GB allocates 384 MB of memory to the HD 3000. When you bump the base memory to 8 GB, the HD 3000 will allocate 512 MB. That is the maximum, however. Adding more memory to the system won't help after that.

Reaction score
Hello,
xxmacbethxx said:
just wondering if any one has any experiance or could explain to me alittle better what video ram does. if it helps picture quility and fps in gaming or video editing. or what ever the **** video RAM does
More Video RAM = Gives better responses and effects when it comes to gaming and video editing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" 2.3Ghz i5, 4gigs ram
In my experience the HD3000 sucks for gaming. I don't know how better it would be with the extra ram but just as a reference: My brother has the "old" aluminium macbook pro with the nvidia 320M graphics chip which as far as I know only shares 256mbs vs the 384mbs the HD3000 shares.

We play SC2 and his computer can run med/high graphic settings butter smooth with the computer staying cool while mine will only run med/low settings smoothly with the fans blasting at like 9k rpm's and heating my laptop ALOT.

I'd say the HD3000 is a HUGE downgrade from the Nvidia 320m for gaming at least. I read the HD3000 is geared towards video rendering and stuff like that.

OP
X
Reaction score
i had a late 2009 Macbook and it could play SC2 on low/med settings and it was pretty good could get choppy ocasinally for a few seconds but it never got hot! I hope this one doesnt get to hot i like to play with it on my lap alot dont always have access to a table!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.