I reset my admin account and need to delet the old one

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 Power PC 1.33 GHz, 1.5 GB
So, I helped a friend move and he gave an old ibook G4 that was in his place and asked me to reformat it before using. I (maybe foolishly) just started in SUM and used * mount -uw /
* rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
* shutdown -h now
to reset the account. obviously I was not thinking ahead because I obviously just covered up the old account without actually getting rid of it. Now the startup disc is almost full and I am trying to figure out how to find/delete the remnants of the last owners files.

Really, finding them is not what is important, just deleting everything not associated with my admin name, I think.

Thanx for any help

PS: I am very much a beginner and used the command above on advice, though I figure things out fairly quickly and got kinda handy with my old linux desk top before it went to a nice farm up north where it runs in the field and plays with other computers all day (or so they tell me).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Did your friend also include the original OS X install disks that came with the computer? The iBook should have come with OS X 10.3.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, just a couple of carbide headlamps and some punk cds. This system is OS x 10.4.11, though.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I should be less glib as you are taking time out to read my post. Had I the original discs I would have just wiped the system and reinstalled, as I did not I was looking for a quick and easy way to use his computer without meddling with anything personal, hence the new admin account over top of the old one.

thanx

C

chas_m

Without the original system restore discs this will be quite a tough problem to solve, though you could go in as root I suppose.

What punk CDs? I like the very old-school, but am still loving Bad Religion after all these years.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
a couple signed numbered versions of 'terror visions' by Jay Reatard, my friend played keys, and, We March (an Athens Ohio legend). Still trying to figure out how to free up space that I do not seem to have access to. Is there a way I can use current admin status to override old admin acct and do a system restore?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
If you have indeed created a new Administrator account, then all you should need to do is open System Preferences->Accounts and remove the other user's account. If you're still using the original account, you can create a new Administrator account, log out, log in as the new administrator and then delete the old account. Applications remain intact, but all files, folders and preferences for the old user will be deleted.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Witness one man as he slaps himself on the forehead and shakes his head ruefully. All I can do is look in a mirror and say "duh".

Thank you, sometimes I get so caught up in the problem that the simple solution never occurs, I think it's called making a mountain out of a molehill.

Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.