Wlan

2tone_punk

Hey i use wlan router to get an internet connection on my macs and i was wondering is there anyway to check is lets say a neighbour is using my internet connection i dont want to put a password on it cause i am planning to do somethign to freind who is my neighbour i just need to check if he is using it cause he said he isnt and i think he is using it for his psp and his pc

paul

OP
S

shep

2tone_punk said:
Hey i use wlan router to get an internet connection on my macs and i was wondering is there anyway to check is lets say a neighbour is using my internet connection i dont want to put a password on it cause i am planning to do somethign to freind who is my neighbour i just need to check if he is using it cause he said he isnt and i think he is using it for his psp and his pc

paul

wot router bud ?

OP

2tone_punk

Awrite cheers anyway not to sure what some of it means my brother set it up and hes on holiday means but its a WLAN 802.11g broadband router 54 Mbps 4lan ports... if that helps ask if me if you need any more info and i will try and find it out

thanks

just noticed where in glasgow you from?

OP
M

Merlinblack

hmmm the best way to find out is by going into the router interface. If you can do that then you can check the log and see who is sending DHCP requests to your router.

if you notice a couple computers with different mac addresses you can then filter the mac addresses that don't belong to you from getting an IP address.

Or at least you can on my router.

You might be able to see his computer/PSP on your network as well if you click the network icon in finder and see a workgroup (windows machine) or another computer all together he's on your wireless.

Again the best way to stop him is mac filtering, but you could also just lower your signal strenth from the router interface.

Good Luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.