Current Gen. Wireless Keyboard Stops Working

Reaction score
We've had our current mac and keyboard for about a little over two years now and just recently my keyboard (which has had no damage what so ever upon it)
began to have intermittent on/off problems. Even at half to full battery power, the keyboard would occasionally turn off or disconnect from the mac. And upon replacing the keyboard with new batteries, this event would continue to occur. Up until last night, this problem was not such a nuisance. However now, the keyboard has stopped working entirely. The funny piece to this is that after I had discovered the keyboard to have stopped working, I had once again replaced the batteries and after a period of about 15 minutes, the keyboard began working again. But now, the following morning, the keyboard has once again stopped working. I'd prefer not having to buy a new keyboard (apple products are pricey) and I'm sure my warranty has long been expired. Apple's keyboard is such a comfortable and preferred choice of a keyboard but it seems their life expectancy really doesn't last for more than two years. Can anyone help me out?+

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple since 1982, now: iMac 2.5 ghz, 500 HD, sandy bridge
You don't say if this is bluetooth or usb. You can pick up a new keyboard anywhere that will work on your mac either bluetooth or usb, and probably pretty cheaply on ebay.

You might try cleaning the contacts on the batteries with a pencil eraser. That would account for the working for a short time and then stopping again.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't quite have an answer but perhaps you will find the following amusing.

I have had the Apple Bluetooth keyboard (three battery variety) since shortly after it first appeared. It only occasionally lost connection and usually when the batteries were low. About two months ago it lost connection with my Mac and would not re-pair no matter what. Pairing with other Mac gear was also out of the question even though batteries were charged.

After several failed pairing attempts I removed the batteries and was preparing to throw the keyboard away. I attempted to pair one last time and it worked!

About two weeks ago the same thing happened. Multiple pairing attempts failed. Removing the batteries in preparation for trashing it caused it to start working again. Moral of the story: Threaten your keyboard with imminent destruction.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple since 1982, now: iMac 2.5 ghz, 500 HD, sandy bridge
ing the batteries in preparation for trashing it caused it to start working again. Moral of the story: Threaten your keyboard with imminent destruction.

In that case, dig a hole in the back yard and put the keyboard in it. Stand over it and say: "Do you like this? If you don't work, I'm going to put you in here and cover you with dirt. You will be here for three days before I come and take you out again. Each time you decide not to work I will increase the time of your INCARCERATION, until you will just be buried here forever.

"Don't think I won't do it!! Just make my day!!"

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.