iChat with facebook chat..

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm having difficulty setting up iChat to work with Facebook chat. I've added a new Jabber account, with [email protected], my FB password, server as chat.facebook.com, port as 5222 (as everything online suggests).

However, it won't connect. Keeps saying my username or password is wrong (which they aren't!). Any suggestions at all?

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Hi all,

I'm having difficulty setting up iChat to work with Facebook chat. I've added a new Jabber account, with [email protected], my FB password, server as chat.facebook.com, port as 5222 (as everything online suggests).

However, it won't connect. Keeps saying my username or password is wrong (which they aren't!). Any suggestions at all?

Cheers

I've found FB chat outside of FB to be very flaky. You may have done nothing wrong. I've actually had times where it was working, then I would get that error for days at a time. Then it would start working again. I finally just gave up.

The other option is to just link your FB to your AIM account and use it that way.

https://settings.aim.com/

OP
J
Reaction score
Yeh it seems a bit rubbish. I've started using Nimbuzz instead, and that seems to work fine.

C

chas_m

Works very reliably for me (FB chat in iChat).

If I recall correctly, what I did was this:

1. Create Jabber account in iChat (I also have MobileMe and AIM accounts)

2. Filled in the username as (my Facebook name, ie whatever appears at the end of the facebook URL in a browser when you visit your profile) @chat.facebook.com.

In other words, if my "profile page" on Facebook was www.facebook.com/chas_m, I'd put the username in my iChat Jabber account as [email protected]

3. Then put in your facebook password as the password. That's it!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Works very reliably for me (FB chat in iChat).

If I recall correctly, what I did was this:

1. Create Jabber account in iChat (I also have MobileMe and AIM accounts)

2. Filled in the username as (my Facebook name, ie whatever appears at the end of the facebook URL in a browser when you visit your profile) @chat.facebook.com.

In other words, if my "profile page" on Facebook was www.facebook.com/chas_m, I'd put the username in my iChat Jabber account as [email protected]

3. Then put in your facebook password as the password. That's it!

What you said works perfectly for me here also Chas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No one is disputing the setup instructions, even the OP followed those exactly.

The issue however is the stability of FB's chat platform. A quick Google search will show you the number of people who complain about it being up and down.

Because the OP setup the chat settings correctly, it's more than likely just the fact that sometimes FB's servers are flaky.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
FB has been making some changes to their Chat. Maybe that is causing issues. I have not used a client lately for FB chat. Last night I noticed they were changing the way the Chat worked.

Over the year or so I have been using FB, their Chat has been VERY flakey. That is why I rarely use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
Even on facebook.com itself, I've found chat to be a little unreliable. In iChat it seems to work about as well as it does via the site though, so I can't say that it's any more unreliable than the web chat client.

Although I'm sure you've done so, did you change "[email protected]" to actually be your user name? :p Just makin' sure!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13"
I've got my Facebook chat added as a Jabber account on Adium. At times I don't receive messages on Adium that I've been sent and can see in the chat window on Facebook - very strange.

C

chas_m

All I can tell you guys is that I have this open for nine hours a day, every weekday -- and it always works perfectly. I have to use iChat for work, so I also keep my FB chat open as well for friends.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All I can tell you guys is that I have this open for nine hours a day, every weekday -- and it always works perfectly. I have to use iChat for work, so I also keep my FB chat open as well for friends.

Yes, I'm sure you do. And of course, no one can possibly have a different experience than you? :Oops:

I mean I suppose all of us in this thread that have had a different experience must just not be telling the truth. I'l start banning the people obviously trolling this thread. :p

C

chas_m

I didn't say any of that. I was just reporting my experiences as a data point.

Hopefully I'm just not getting your humour.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, there's humor there, hence the tongue-out emoticon. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I have noticed here the little I use FB chat is when iChat would not work, the chat on the FB page was down also.

Again my experiences, but a friend I do chat with a lot had the same issues on her end on both her iPad using IM+ and on her Macbook using iChat. Lately since FB chat has been working a lot better, never had any issues.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.