Hard drive upgrade

Reaction score
Currently, I have a 20" iMac, OSX 10.6.8, 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with a 250 GB HD. I want to upgrade to a 3TB HD.

Is this an easy plug and play switch or will I encounter problems? If so, what do I need to do to make the switch successful?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, it's not an easy plug and play switch. Your iMac front panel display must first be removed before you can gain access to the inside of the machine. Take a look at the instructions for swapping out a hard drive in an iMac at iFixit: The free repair manual. There are also several good on line videos that describe the procedure.

OP
B
Reaction score
No, it's not an easy plug and play switch. Your iMac front panel display must first be removed before you can gain access to the inside of the machine. Take a look at the instructions for swapping out a hard drive in an iMac at iFixit: The free repair manual. There are also several good on line videos that describe the procedure.

Thank you. I have those instructions. I meant driver wise and operating system wise. Will I be able to swap out the old drive for the new drive, format it, load the OS onto it and be done or are there other things I need to update, install, etc...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Nope, nothing else to do. Install the drive - that's the only hard thing part with an iMac. Install the OS and you're basically done.

If you want to restore all your stuff from the existing drive, get an external case to put it in, connect it, and then use Migration Assistant to pull all your existing stuff over.

OP
B
Reaction score
Nope, nothing else to do. Install the drive - that's the only hard thing part with an iMac. Install the OS and you're basically done.

If you want to restore all your stuff from the existing drive, get an external case to put it in, connect it, and then use Migration Assistant to pull all your existing stuff over.

Awesome, thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.