Apple Store

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro and have had a couple of small issues, like slow internet connectivity. When I take it into the Apple Store near me at the Eaton Centre in Toronto, suddenly these small issues become problems of catastrophic proportions. Lately I had an email issue - when I took it in, the Genius dudes 1. made my emails disappear 2. told me my hard drive was doomed. Now that I'm at home, my emails have stopped disappearing. It's like there's something going on - not to sound paranoid - at the Apple Store that manifests itself in my computer. Anyone else have similar experiences in that Apple Store or any Apple store?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have a MacBook Pro and have had a couple of small issues, like slow internet connectivity. When I take it into the Apple Store near me at the Eaton Centre in Toronto, suddenly these small issues become problems of catastrophic proportions. Lately I had an email issue - when I took it in, the Genius dudes 1. made my emails disappear 2. told me my hard drive was doomed. Now that I'm at home, my emails have stopped disappearing. It's like there's something going on - not to sound paranoid - at the Apple Store that manifests itself in my computer. Anyone else have similar experiences in that Apple Store or any Apple store?

This has nothing to do with the store. From here, it appears that your hard drive is crashing, and you experienced the worst of it by sheer coincidence when you went to the store. If they said the drive was dying, then that seals it. You need a new drive.

OP
M
Reaction score
I would accept this if - I had a similar experience just a few months ago in February. I took my MacBook Pro into the same store with a similar problem - connectivity - once the "geniuses" plugged it in, it took 20 minutes to boot up. At first they said it was the logic board, then it quickly progressed to the whole computer being fried. They replaced it free of charge (given that it was only six months old!) and could not tell me why this had happened.

And like I said, now everything's working just fine. What gives?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Its simple really electronics can live a long time or die the minute they are fired up seen
things last far longer than expected and things dead right out of the box no matter what
brand and this has been going on from the 60's at least for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I would accept this if - I had a similar experience just a few months ago in February. I took my MacBook Pro into the same store with a similar problem - connectivity - once the "geniuses" plugged it in, it took 20 minutes to boot up. At first they said it was the logic board, then it quickly progressed to the whole computer being fried. They replaced it free of charge (given that it was only six months old!) and could not tell me why this had happened.

And like I said, now everything's working just fine. What gives?

You have to understand that when a problem develops with a computer, it's not aways a quick and dirty diagnosis. One part may fail, leading in turn to other parts failing. The initial tests, like the Apple Hardware Test, may have shown a logic board problem, and with a logic board acting up, other components connected may not be able to be tested properly (at least not with the same tools) because their operation relies on the motherboard. In turn, whatever caused the motherboard to fail may have cause THOSE parts to fail also, or perhaps it was a domino effect.

I'm quite certain that if there was a problem with the staff or the store, then there'd be a plethora of others having the issue. I mean fer crying out loud… they outright replaced your first MacBook at no charge. There's no financial motivation to be screwing with you, or anyone. You may have gotten bum luck with 2 lemons. It happens. There also may well be a problem with the environment you are using your MacBook in. If you are in a building or area with unreliable power service, prone to surges or fluctuations in voltage, then THAT could be leading to damaging your computer. But we won't know for sure what it is from sitting here at home. If you don't trust the Apple geniuses, take it somewhere else.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, I guess that's what I get for posting here. I was hoping others have had similar problems with Apple stores - and believe me, from what I see there PLENTY of problems - but maybe nothing quite like mine. So far. Fortunately, Apple isn't the only game in town. Come Monday, I am indeed going elsewhere. Was hoping for some encouraging words on this forum since I'm at the end of my tether with this. Guess I'll try somewhere else for that, too.
Have a great weekend.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I certainly don't know what type of "encouraging" words you were expecting, but you received some very good advice from members who are volunteering their time to help others. No one is a paid Apple employee or advisor in these forums.

It seems you came here to find out if others have had issues with Apple stores. My question to you is if you were unhappy with the service you received at the Apple store you took your machine to, did you speak to the local service manager or the store manager?

You're certainly welcome to take your machine elsewhere. However, you might wish to first search for threads in this forum and other Mac forums regarding having work done in other than an Apple store.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.