Should I wait to buy an Apple once Lion comes out?

Reaction score
I am about to purchase a Macbook Pro for the first time. I have been told the new Lion operating system comes out in Sept. I was wondering if I should wait to purchase the new computer with the new operating system or if I should go ahead and buy the new laptop and then purchase Lion when it comes out? I would like a new laptop as soon as possible but have no immediate problems with my current laptop other than it is a dell and has no battery life off the charger. Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Lion comes out in July, most likely next week. I don't know who told you September.

OP
S
Reaction score
Would it be cheaper to wait and purchase with new OS or would it be cheaper to upgrade?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Would it be cheaper to wait and purchase with new OS or would it be cheaper to upgrade?

The upgrade is only going to be $29, so if you can wait then do so but if not buy now and pay $29 more later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
If I have heard right the upgrade price is $29.99. I don't know if that is a financial hardship for you but that's a pretty reasonable price so if you need a Mac laptop right now and can't wait then buying Lion later probably wouldn't be much of a hardship for you.

You just have to go through the process of upgrading your Mac which isn't really hard based on previous Mac OS upgrades.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
I am pretty sure a new machine purchased from June 6th til the release of Lion qualifies for free Lion upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The upgrade is only going to be $29, so if you can wait then do so but if not buy now and pay $29 more later.

All new machines get Lion for free. There's no extra cost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
All new machines get Lion for free. There's no extra cost.
That's great to hear. It looks like sandspr87 can now use that money to throw a "I just saved $29 so I'm throwing a $29 party to celebrate my saved money". ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
I would wait for new Macs with Lion already installed.
Many are expecting updates to various models so you could get a better price on an older model and still have Lion free.... :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.