8100/100 AV CD-ROM hangs system.

M

masterpc99

Hi,

I'm a relative newbe to Mac's but a true computer geek. I have an old Power Mac 8100/100 AV that I got from work a few years back and I'm trying to fix it up to give to a friend. The system was working fine last I used it (over two years ago). I had upgraded it from OS 7.5 to OS 9.1 back before I stopped playing with it. When I went to test it for my friend before I gave it to him, I noticed if I had a CD in the CD-ROM drive, the system would not boot, also if I inserted a disk while the system was running it would hang and you can not even open the drive.

I didn't remember seeing this issue before I stopped using it. Thinking is was the drive itself, I swapped it for a Toshiba SCSI drive from an old DEC server I had, but that was not recognized by the OS. I then broke down and bought a used 12X drive on ebay and installed it but I get the same results as the original drive :eek:neye: .

Can anyone PLEASE HELP a dumb newbe on what he's doing wrong?!?!

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
My guess would be SCSI weirdness...probably a bad SCSI ribbon cable. (And check your SCSI termination again, just in case.) Can't really think of anything else...been a long time.

OP
M

masterpc99

Looked again but eveything is good.

I will try and replace the SCSI cable, but it looks good as well. I checked all the extensions in the System/Extensions folder and they are there except HighSeirra, but it will not even mount an ISO9660 disk. :eek:neye:

Reaction score
masterpc99 said:
I will try and replace the SCSI cable, but it looks good as well. I checked all the extensions in the System/Extensions folder and they are there except HighSeirra, but it will not even mount an ISO9660 disk. :eek:neye:

I had the same weird problem. I think it is SCSI id problem. run the system info program and check the scsi ids of the hard drive and the cdrom. if they have the same id it will take the hd over the cdrom, and cause it to act weird. I had to move the jumpers on my hard drive to fix it.

You can also try running the HD and cdrom on different scsi busses (I think there are 2 on the 8100... there are on my 8600).

hope that helps alittle.

Reaction score
Make the ID is not set to 7 either. This is reserved for the controller.

ed724

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.