cant find terminal- help please

Reaction score
I've been looking for terminal but whenever i go into applications then utilities it's not there, looked on spotlight-nothing how can i get hold of this would i need to reinstall (mac osx)

thanks in return

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you somehow deleted the "Terminal.app" you can extract it from your original install DVD and copy it back to the Applications, Utilities folder. Depending on which version of OS X you're running you may need special software to extract the Terminal.app. Pacifist will do the extraction for you.

As an alternative, you can download and install the free "iTerm" application which is an enhanced version of Terminal.

OP
F
Reaction score
ok i've decided to reinstall but did it last night and i inserted the installtion disc restarted the mac and the spinning timer was on screen for 5 hours, how long is a installation meant to take? somehow dont think thats right!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What version of OSX is this and what Mac are you installing OSX on? Also when the install first starts, often the time listed is VERY inflated! Does it come down after a few minutes?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
In the meantime, you can use iTerm as chscag suggested.

There is no need to reinstall OS X to get Terminal back. Follow chscag's instructions and use Pacifist to extract it from the install DVD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.