Help guys, this problem with my mac is really annoying.

Reaction score
Long time reader, first time i ran into a problem with a mac.

I've had my mac for little over a year now, its a 10.6.8 15 inch macbook pro. It works fine for the first few hours of use, then all of a sudden everything stops working. No application opens in the dock, they bounce for several times then stops. New tabs created in any browser isn't able to load any webpage typed in the url (i mean just blank after i click enter, although my internet works fine on my iphone). As for functionality in the mouse and keyboard they both work. Unless i restart the computer nothing will start up or work. The thing is I use my computer for long periods of time and i want it to be on if i have it on last night running and want to use it in the morning. Any advice? i really don't want to have to restore but if thats the only option....

Reaction score
First of all, I'd make a backup of all your documents and data on that machine. Worst case you have to rebuild it and you don't want to lose everything.

Then, give you can open this, check out "Console" by searching for it through Spotlight or go to the /Applications/Utilities folder. See, if there are any error messages that indicate why apps aren't opening.

Another thing you can try is to reboot your machine with your OSX installation DVD and run a system test/repair.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.