Mail not accepting Address Book group emails

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15'', iMac 21.5'', iPhone 3G 8GB, iPhone 3GS 32GB
I've look around the forum but haven't found anything on this.

I'm having a big problem. I have all my contacts sorted into groups in my Address book. All the contacts have all the correct information filled out (no emails in the "telefone" field etc).

When I try to send an email, using Mail, to a group, it tells me that " 'such-and-such' group does not contain a valid email address. Verify this and try again." And I can't send the email. The name of the group shows up in BOLD in the "To:" field, meaning that Mail recognizes it as a valid Address Book Group name.

I've cleared the "Previous Recipients" list, thinking maybe there was some kind of conflict with the group name with some other group that I might have created and deleted a while ago.

Can anyone help me? I really have no idea how to sort this one out...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
I am sure you have checked this but just in case - have you opened the group in contacts and made sure that there are members?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, all the groups have contacts in them.

The thing is this problem is happening with all my groups...help!

C

chas_m

If there is even ONE invalid email in the groups, that will stop the whole process cold.

You're going to have to go through those contacts with a fine toothed comb -- there IS one in there somewhere (possibly one common to all the groups, since it's happening in all groups as you say) that is malformed. This is not a case of "that person doesn't have that email address anymore" -- that would still go out.

This is a case of "one email address doesn't have anything after the @ symbol, or a valid extension at the end (.cmo instead of .com for example)" or something like that.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If there is even ONE invalid email in the groups, that will stop the whole process cold.

You're going to have to go through those contacts with a fine toothed comb -- there IS one in there somewhere (possibly one common to all the groups, since it's happening in all groups as you say) that is malformed. This is not a case of "that person doesn't have that email address anymore" -- that would still go out.

This is a case of "one email address doesn't have anything after the @ symbol, or a valid extension at the end (.cmo instead of .com for example)" or something like that.

Ok, that makes sense, but why would Mail not allow me to send an email to a group that has only one person, and that contact is only in that group and in no other group.

I'm wondering if this is a problem with the system or registry? I did a permissions and disk repair but it didn't change anything.

Reaction score
Group email problem

I'm having same problem.

When I try to send/forward email to a group I get a response that
no names are found in the group - even though when I click on the group
all the members names appear, and I can send messages individually to them.
This happens even with groups with just 2 members.

Has anyone solved this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 5K, ElCapitan 10.11.3, Airport Extr, 15" MacBook Pro, Mavericks, 10.9.3, iPad 3, iPhone 6S
Same problem here. My groups work in MacBook Pro and iPhone, but not on iPad. Looks like a bug. It finds and sends to individual email addresses.

Surely someone here will have a solution!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 5K, ElCapitan 10.11.3, Airport Extr, 15" MacBook Pro, Mavericks, 10.9.3, iPad 3, iPhone 6S
Not pleased with the way this Forum is not monitored and questions such as these sit for months without any help. My conclusion is that the iPad does not handle Group Email Addresses. It would be nice if someone at Apple would confirm this. I have several friends with iPads and they are seeing the same problem. Why have a Group email capability and not have iPad take advantage of it?

Reaction score
group email in apple address book

I'm having the same issue on my desktop Mac so the problem isn't just with IPads. I created a new group with 20 contacts. I can export the list and see that it is a valid list filled with email addresses, but when I try to send an email to the list it says there are no email addresses. I even tried to create a test group with just my email address and the same thing happened. Any ideas? I've looked all over the web and am stumped! And annoyed.....

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Not pleased with the way this Forum is not monitored and questions such as these sit for months without any help. =

I can understand your frustration with this issue but in defense of the rest of the forum I must point out that this forum is not in AFAIK in any way directly associated with Apple so I doubt they are monitoring the questions that are posted. Our members are answer questions voluntarily and most have jobs that are not directly related to Macs/computers. Chances are no one has answered because no one knows an answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Slydude. Good point. I had hoped that iOs 6 would fix this on the iPad. Still doesn't work. Works fine in my iPhone 4S and MacBook Pro.

I will cruise and then post on the Apple Support forum and look for a response from Apple support. Maybe they don't see this as a serious problem. .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.