Thumb drive problem

Reaction score
I have thumb drive which when I copy MP4 clips to it, renders the files un-readable. I have tried repairing with disk utility but doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
How large (what file size) are these files? Are you able to successfully copy other types of files to the drive and have them open properly? I assume the files will copy/play properly if they are copied somewhere else (such as the hard drive)?

OP
C
Reaction score
File sizes are 200-600mb, and yes other file types copy and open properly. The MP4 files in question are being copied from the hard drive to the usb thumb drive. The files play fine from the hard drive...it is when they are copied to the thumb drive where the problem occurs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Do the files have the proper 3-letter extension? If not, the system could be confused as to what kind of file they actually are, and refuse to open them properly.

OP
C
Reaction score
Yes they do have the .mp4 extension. I'm thinking of reformatting the thumb drive and starting fresh, or maybe a new one altogether.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Just a thought had a similar problem with FAT 16 once if its FAT 32 it should read and write on anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple since 1982, now: iMac 2.5 ghz, 500 HD, sandy bridge
Thes flash drives are like the memory cards in cameras. It is usually recommended that one completely reformat the card after every complete download of pictures into a computer, or every month or so if you can.

Flash drives are the same. The memory in the chips is volatile and needs to be cleared out to start again fresh every once in a while.

If you eat the same bread out of a plastic bag and keep putting new bread in without eating all the old bread, it will get stale and eventually moldy. You clearly have some moldy data in that drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.