I want my original Mac theme back! :( Help?

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm new here and am more than likely to have posted this is the wrong place...!

Basically, I installed a theme for my Mac but I quickly grew to dislike it and wished I'd never tampered with anything! As a new Mac user, I am not sure how to just get rid of this theme and go back to my original? I've looked at all of these 'Mac Theme Installer' programs - Magnifique etc - But none of them give me the option to uninstall the current theme... :(

I have Mac OS X Version 10.6.8 and would really appreciate it if somebody could supply me with a quick fix to this?

I should mention that I didn't change the theme through a 'theme changer' program - I just downloaded a file and in unzipped - I then ran the file and it talked me through a quick installation and voila - It was changed...

I hate the toolbar at the top on the new theme as half of it you can read, and the other half is virtually the same colour as the toolbar itself! = Frustration!

But like I say, any help I would appreciate greatly as I am a perfectionist! Ha ha O:)

Jack

OP
J_Annable
Reaction score
Is that something that you have to manually set? If so, then no I don't! :(

Fingers crossed, is there any other way to get it back if I don't have a Time Machine backup?

By the way, thanks for the speedy reply!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You're much more likely to get specific help if you fill us in on what you downloaded so that there is some clue as to what and how it made changes.

Did you open up that file you downloaded and read the txt file that most of them come with?

OP
J_Annable
Reaction score
Sorry no I didn't, I just opened the installer after it unzipped and it got to work :(

Can't remember where I got it from, but I watched a Youtube video and it was that video that directed me to the site for where to get hold of it. Then it was just a simple case of unzip, and clicking next on the installer!

I wish it was as simple as changing themes on Windows :(

I was wondering, if I could get hold of the Mac OS X disc could I just reinstall a fresh copy from that?

J

OP
J_Annable
Reaction score
I managed to find the site where I downloaded the theme.. and like I say, from that point, I unzipped and the installer opened to which I clicked 'next' until I had the theme.. BIG MISTAKE! :(

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
According to the link you posted, it has it's own uninstaller. Would suggest you use it.

It also states it doesn't work in 10.6.5 - 10.6.7, so I'd also suggest you make sure you're updated to 10.6.8 prior to using the uninstaller.

OP
J_Annable
Reaction score
You absolute lifesaver! I should really learn to read things properly haha - It's when I get excited about something I just rush straight into it.

I actually installed ANOTHER theme on top of that one so I went back and ran the uninstaller for that an voila, original theme is back - Thank you - You've saved me a lot of frustration - Thumbs up!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good deal! Sometimes, a pause for a little breather is all it takes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hmmm. I didn't know theming was still alive and well for OS X. I thought it pretty much died when Unsanity was unable to get ShapeShifter to run under Snow Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.