appalling download speeds

Reaction score
i finally got my wireless netgear wgr614v5 router up and running. i get my dsl connection via a modem that i have hooked up to the router. my winxp dekktop is linked to the router via a linysys pci card.
my ibook gets its internet wireless via this set up. i also share a few folders between the 2. i have noticed a drastic drop in download speeds after having the whole setup run for a few hours. the first few hours are great and i get speeds of around 100 KB/s but after that i tend to get speeds of 5 KB/s! this is worse than dialup!
i also notice that when i stream real audio files on the bbc website after a while i get a time out error message and the streaming goes dead. i have configured my router with wpa-psk security and the key lifetime is set at the default of 60 seconds. could it be something to do with that?

B

badmojo

I have the same router and it's mediocre. The only thing I've been able to do to improve things is to find a channel (1-11) that's not close to what anyone near you is using. Get a macwireless.com widget to alert you to the other networks. Update the router firmware too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.