spell check! and memory question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac pro 13 inch 2.3gh 4gb ram 320 harddrive
Hi, I am new here.I just got a 13 inch mac pro last week.I have 4 gb and 320 harddrive. If I wanted to upgrade harddrive and the 4 gb to 8 should I go to apple and do it?I can not do it myself I am not computer savy at all.Is Frys a good option? Also I have spell chack activted under edit,but how do I actuallly change the words,it will not give me any splling options.Please help:D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Upgrading the memory and hard drive in a MBP are easy upgrades which you can do yourself. There are numerous videos on line and also at vendors who sell memory and hard drivers that show how to do it. If you have any doubt about your ability to do the upgrades yourself, then by all means have a professional do it for you. You can have it done at your local Apple store or any authorized Apple dealer.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you very much.Do you have any idea how to use spell check? How does one actually get to change a word?Or get options on the spelling?

C

chas_m

Also I have spell chack activted under edit,but how do I actuallly change the words,it will not give me any splling options.

I cannot even begin to tell you the intense pleasure this sentence gave me. Not to knock your spelling (everyone misspells words, myself included).

To answer your question, when the OS flags a misspelled word, just right-click (or control-click if you're on a notebook) on the word and you'll get any suggestions on the correct spelling along with the option to check the dictionary and so forth. You can also opt to have the OS try to correct your spelling automatically, but I recommend against this as you will never learn to improve your spelling and the machine will still "guess incorrectly" from time to time, which could prove embarrassing (there's a whole website devoted to this, though that is aimed mainly at iPhone's auto-correcting).

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks.My problem is that many times I half lay in bed ,when on the computer,therefore I frequently miss a letter or accidentally hit the button to the right or left!:D

Reaction score
From the responses, it seems the general consensus is that when you have the "automatically use spell checker suggestion" engaged, then there is no way to keep the word as originally typed, which the spell checker continues to replace with something you don't want. Is that it? There really are no options or keyboard commands to keep the word as originally typed?

Back when I used Outlook, you could use some kind of key command to return the word from what the spell checker change it back to how you originally typed/spelled it. Although, I can't remember exactly what it was, I think like "command" and "backspace" at the same time). Lion/Pages doesn't have anything like that?

Example: typed and wanted "Mulcahy", but spell checker kept changing it to "Mulch".

Like sunshinshade, I actually want to use the automatic setting, but this one thing makes it frustrating. I've played with different kind of key commands, and I've searched other forums, and have not found an answer other than "uncheck the box for "automatically use..." I just wanted to be sure I posted it specifically enough to see if there actually was an answer. So, sorry about the long post.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.