Any Potential Problems With Exchanging .band Files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.1 ghz i5, 12 gb 1333 mhz & iPhone 4s
I am working on a music project with a friend of mine on the other side of the country. We are sending .band files back and forth to each record separate parts and edit etc.

My question is this.. with all the zipping and unzipping etc. required to continually send these back and forth do I need to be concerned with any audio quality loss that may compound over time?

It's conceivable that any one of these files could be zipped and unzipped 20+ times before the final mix.

Thanks in advance for any input/suggestions.

C

chas_m

Any form of compression "tosses" original data that was once in the file, so the answer to your question is yes.

Stop emailing each other zipped files and instead use something like Dropbox or Soundcloud or some such to send each other uncompressed files.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any form of compression "tosses" original data that was once in the file, so the answer to your question is yes.

Stop emailing each other zipped files and instead use something like Dropbox or Soundcloud or some such to send each other uncompressed files.

We can't find a service that will take .band files as an upload. My understanding is that .band is more of a package than a file and they can't easily be shared. I get nothing but errors when I try, and I have tried several services..

I'm also getting conflicting information about the compressing. I posted this question on another forum as well and I'm being told over there that .zip is lossless as far as audio is concerned, unlike say .mp3 of course.

I've read in many threads now that people tend to zip .band files in order to upload them.. so I know I'm not alone here.. but no one talks about quality loss. And you could just as easily be right about this as the other people are from my perspective.

lol frustrating man I don't know what to think.

C

chas_m

They are correct and I was wrong. After researching it, ZIP compression does turn out to be lossless. ZIP away!

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They are correct and I was wrong. After researching it, ZIP compression does turn out to be lossless. ZIP away!

Thank you very much sir! With that I feel confident I've resolved this issue. And we all got to learns something! ;D

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.