Shocking: No GCC installed?

A

AlexN

So I opened the terminal, and started writing a hello world program as usual.

When I compiled the file using "gcc -Wall -o hello hello.c",
it gave me "-bash: gcc: command not found".

No GCC installed? Or maybe the path is wrong? (Note: it's a fresh OS, I just got the iBook yesterday.)

PS: cc doesn't work either.

OP
D

d-funct

You need Xcode installed to have access to the GCC compiler ... its a free download but you have to do a free registration first :) just look for it on the apple website I think its under the developer bit ... maybe :)

BTW does anyone know of any tutorials for using the GCC program for C++? I've just started learning C++ and I have no idea how to compile it on my mac :S

OP
A

AlexN

d-funct said:
I've just started learning C++ and I have no idea how to compile it on my mac :S

Use g++ command instead of gcc. For example, g++ -Wall -o hello hello.cpp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
d-funct said:
You need Xcode installed to have access to the GCC compiler ... its a free download but you have to do a free registration first :) just look for it on the apple website I think its under the developer bit ... maybe :)

No need for that. Xcode is delivered with every Mac, and every retail version of OS X.
On a standard factory installed Mac (like your brand new iBook, AlexN) you will find a folder called "Installers" in your Applications folder. In there is the installer for the Developper tools (means Xcode plus a bunch of utilities for developpers, including gcc).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.