Magic Mouse Batteries

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX
I know the answer to this will be subjective to how much one uses the mouse, but just in general, how long should the batteries last in a magic mouse that is used several hours a day?

The reason I ask is that I bought my iMac a little over a month ago. Used the batteries that came with it and they are already dead.

The pc I use for work, also has a wireless keyboard and mouse and I have had them installed for probably about a year and never had to change the batteries out yet.

Perhaps the batteries that came with the unit weren't that great anymore? They were energizer batteries.

Any ideas would be great.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It depends on usage and also whether or not you turn off the Magic Mouse and Keyboard when not in use, but generally they should last 3 months or more. I've had batteries last up to 6 months. Like anything else your mileage may vary....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2
Interesting. I've had my iMac for a little over a month now as well. I use it pretty much for about 5 hours a day on average, but most of that was split between the mouse and trackpad. currently my mouse is about 75% and my trackpad is at 93%. I'm guessing the multitouch capabilities draw a lot more power out of it than an average mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
I recommend using rechargeable batteries for two reasons. First, it's cheaper in the long run. Second, alkaline batteries tend to have a high peak charge, and the voltage decreases over time until it reaches an unusable level. Rechargeable batteries tend to release the same voltage over a long period of time, and then drain quickly as the charge is expended.
300_discharge-graph.jpg

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I had basically dead batteries ship with mine as well - put some quality new ones in and you should get quite a bit of usage out of them.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX
Thank you very much everyone for your feedback!! I really do appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Duracell or Energizer last me 4-5 weeks but only because I keep forgetting to turn it off.

C

chas_m

Three things:

1. Bluetooth devices (such as the Magic Mouse) use a lot more power than IR devices, so the batteries don't last as long.

2. Turn off the mouse when not in use. Yes, they do "sleep" but turning them off is a better idea.

3. Love mother earth and use rechargeables, BUT make sure you get the good ones (2000mAh or higher).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.