• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Software Suggestions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX
Hello everyone!

I'm pretty new to the Mac world, but loving it. However, because I'm so new, I don't know many of the software programs that are out there and/or what they do. So I'm hoping someone might help me out.

I'm a pastor, and I would like to start creating some short Sermon Illustration videos.

These video's might have some filmed parts from a video camera, as well as I would like to have some motion text (like text scrolling down or across or in some other cool fashion) and motion backgrounds. Hopefully some of you will know what I'm talking about.

You could go to some sites like Sermonspice - Home - Buy Church Videos or WorshipHouse Media to get some ideas of what I'm talking about.

Anyway, can you all make some suggestions on what type of software I could use to create some stuff like that?

Thank you all in advance!

Steve

C

chas_m

I'd suggest using Keynote, the powerful slideshow program you can buy directly from the Mac App Store for $20.

You can drop video files right onto a "slide" and they'll play (might want to install Flip4Mac WMV Player and Perian -- both free -- to ensure maximum compatibility). Motion text is built into the programs, and motion backgrounds are widely available at modest prices from third-party vendors like Jumsoft.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chas, thank you very kindly for your recommendation. And I must say that you are one heck of a knowledgable guy!!

By the way, I started messing around with iMovie last night and I'm blown away by all you can do with this out of the box.

Seems like every day that goes by, I'm becoming more and more convinced that I'll never go back to pc's.

As a side note, do you happen to know if there are other effects or text transitions that you can get for iMovie? It just seems that there aren't that many in there so after a while they could get a bit worn out. Are there any add on's or third party products for iMovie that would open up that possibility?

Thanks again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just to add to chas_m's good advice.... you may wish to wait a bit before purchasing Keynote. A new version of iWork is overdue and since Lion is just around the corner to be released to the general public, there is a sense that Apple will release a new version shortly thereafter.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would you gents mind shedding some light on something for me? When the new OS comes out, does that mean that any app that I've bought on Snow Leopard (iLife related: Pages, Numbers, etc) will have to be bought again? Because I just got my iMac a month or so ago and did buy Pages and Numbers. Did I mess up?

And will they upgrade iMove and Garageband too or do I have to buy a new version of those?

Thanks you guys.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
System software upgrades don't always require that the iWorks apps (Numbers, Pages, and Keynote) or iLife will need to be updated. In this case the Numbers and Pages have not been updated in a while. You might give this site a try for information on which applications should work with Lion. Mac OS X Lion Application Compatibility - RoaringApps

I have looked at some of the iLife apps and it seems they work with "minor" issues.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.