Mac os x Tiger Question.

Reaction score
Hey,
I have an iBook G3, that is currently running mac os x 9.1. I want to upgrade it to tiger. Can I upgrade it straight from tiger or do I have to upgrade it more? Also, How usable is mac os x tiger in the modern world? (Like video editing, surfing the web, photos ETC)
Thanks in advance.
-iBookG3User

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13"
I'm still learning a lot about Mac's so may not be correct here.

I think a clean install (Boot from DVD) should be OK providing that your iMac has built in FireWire and at least 256MB of RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Good luck finding a Tiger disc! You can't just order one anymore, or get one at a real store. If you try eBay, make sure you get a black disc, not a gray one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No. The black discs are full retail install versions, the silver/gray are system discs that came with a computer when brand new and will only install on that precise model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13"
They are selling on Amazon UK too... not cheap though!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And Tiger works ok. That G3 is likely to have a lot of problems on today's internet - no matter what OS you're running.

C

chas_m

Hey,
I have an iBook G3, that is currently running mac os x 9.1. I want to upgrade it to tiger. Can I upgrade it straight from tiger or do I have to upgrade it more?

Tiger is as far as a G3 could possibly go. Be CERTAIN that the machine you're talking about can even RUN Tiger before buying a copy, as it's not going to be cheap.

Also, How usable is mac os x tiger in the modern world?

Many orders of magnitude more useful than 9.1 in the modern world!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I have a tiger disk but I am going to be keeping it, I was able to buy it from. My neighbor for $10. But you should be able to get one online but it is going to be expensive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.