2011 iMac 27" with a 2010 iMac as an external?

Reaction score
Hey all! I'm getting ready to purchase one of the new 2011 27" iMacs. I was originally planning on pairing it with an Apple Cinema Display but thought using an older iMac as a second display would work a little better (not only for aesthetics, but also as a secondary computer in a pinch). Is this possible?

I know that the older 27" iMacs could be used as a display, but how about as a display for another iMac (and specifically, the newer model)? And with the new iMacs going exclusively thunderbolt, would it still work?

There is a good chance this question is exceedingly stupid, but I searched everywhere and couldn't find a good confirmation on this. Thanks all for the help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your question is not stupid; it's actually a good question.

In theory it should work since the 2010 iMac 27" model has a mini display port that is an input as well as output. My understanding is that the Thunderbolt port is compatible with the mini display port.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2
This is my guess as well. I think output to multiple screens on the 2011 iMac is backwards compatible to mini display port. Its the target display mode on the new iMac that requires thunderbolt input.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.