Holy macbook and student discount Question

Reaction score
Hey guys! this is my first post here *applause* and im looking into getting my first macbook. Im a seinor in HS and will be goin to college next year (fall 2012) and of course with this day and age im going to need it. Ive really only used a few PC desktops and have some computer knowledge so work with me haha. My first question is this..

1.) Im debating whether or not to get the 13'' unibody macbook ($999) or the 13'' Macbook pro ($1199). Im going to use it for web surfing, definatley some garage band stuff, music, papers, maybe a game or two, and some apeture stuff possibly, and whatever apps jump out at me as interesting ill definatley give a try. The problem is i am on a budget (having a part time job) and i need to know if spending the extra $200 will really improve my macbook experience, i no that the pro is a slightly better machine, but is it really really really noticable specs wise and overall experience?

The differences i see from my research is that the casing on the pro is better, it has +2 gigs RAM more than the unibody, dual core i5 insted of intel 2 duo, quad core processor, and the keyboard is backlite!!!! idc really. Is this really different in any way from the white macbook (which ive been calling unibody sorry) and if yes how? (will it run better etc.) Help me make my decision, i will be buying by the end of July for sure

2. Next is a shorter question which you could probably give me an answer for quick. If i go to an apple store and ask for a student discount (which i believe is $100), will they still give me the $100 itunes gift card to itunes, etc like advertised or is that considered the student discount? Basically will my total for a macbook pro 13'' be $1199 (+tax) and a $100 gift card or will it be $1099 (+tax) and a $100 gift card.

IF its $1099 i could see why it might be worth it to save up the extra $100 and get the discounted pro 13'' or you could think visa verse and say the the unibody macbook is only $899 now, get it? thanks guys!

A few replies would be very much appreciated!!!!!

OP
L
Reaction score
ive had bad experiences buying refurb, just my issue sorry, i dont doubt that mac has great refurb products, but imo i would rather buy new if im goin to spend $1200

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
Sorry to hear that. My iMac i am not even sure was opened. just about all the refurbs on the apple site are production line issues. and once the bad dard drive of mainboard is replaced they put it on the refurb side.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Would be a shame to get a lower quality machine just because of what happened in the past with someone else's poor quality refurb. I second the refurb. My 15" uni MBP was a refurb, and It's PERFECT...and it's 26 months old. If there is a problem, you can still exchange it for the macbook...which I honestly would never get. It's not worth saving the money over.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.