random horizontal lines on macbook pro

Reaction score
since a month a go when i am working with my macbook pro for more than 2 hours, start to appear some horizontal lines randomly. if i close the lcd and open again, the lines disappear. with an external screen this thing dont append.
anyone know the solution?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It could be a number of things. Can you tell us a bit more about your MacBook Pro, specifically the hardware specs and approximate age of the machine?

OP
V
Reaction score
It could be a number of things. Can you tell us a bit more about your MacBook Pro, specifically the hardware specs and approximate age of the machine?

December 2006
macbook pro 2.16 core 2 duo
disk 100gb 5400--->300 gb 7200
ati radeon x1600

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just off the top of my head, it sounds like the GPU is running too warm. I don't know how comfortable you'd feel with disassembling the machine, but if it were mine, the first thing I'd do is remove the palm rest. Once it's off and the system board is exposed, I'd use some compressed air to clean the exhaust ducts, hold the fans still and clean them thoroughly.

Once it's all cleaned up and dust free, if the issue persists, I'd run an Apple Hardware Test (AHT):

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

If that comes out clean, my next step would be to reseat the video cable that runs from the system board to the screen - and replace it if it shows signs of wear or damage (it will flex with the screen each time you open/close the lid).

Hope that helps. If you're not comfortable with working on the machine, you may need to seek professional assistance.

OP
V
Reaction score
Just off the top of my head, it sounds like the GPU is running too warm. I don't know how comfortable you'd feel with disassembling the machine, but if it were mine, the first thing I'd do is remove the palm rest. Once it's off and the system board is exposed, I'd use some compressed air to clean the exhaust ducts, hold the fans still and clean them thoroughly.

Once it's all cleaned up and dust free, if the issue persists, I'd run an Apple Hardware Test (AHT):

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

If that comes out clean, my next step would be to reseat the video cable that runs from the system board to the screen - and replace it if it shows signs of wear or damage (it will flex with the screen each time you open/close the lid).

Hope that helps. If you're not comfortable with working on the machine, you may need to seek professional assistance.

i am more than comfortable. i already disassembly my macbook pro 4 times
-one to replace the lcd (Broken)
-another to replace the hard drive
- another to replace the aluminum lcd covers
- another to replace the dvd drive.

best regards,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
since a month a go when i am working with my macbook pro for more than 2 hours, start to appear some horizontal lines randomly. if i close the lcd and open again, the lines disappear. with an external screen this thing dont append.
anyone know the solution?

If the symptoms do not appear on an external monitor, I would suspect the video cable as cw107 pointed out. Since it flexes whenever you open and close the lid, it can easily wear out over time. Try changing that first to see if it solves the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.