Why is My Mac So Slow and Sad? :(

Reaction score
So in the last month or so, my Mac has decided to become very slow. It takes forever to load pictures and videos, sometimes even websites. I've tried repeatedly to download MacKeeper in order to clean up my hard drive, but whenever I try to do so, I get an error message. I've tried to manually delete files that I don't use and have cleaned out my cache because I figured insufficient space was the main cause for the slowness, but I don't understand how so much memory can be used already on my computer (granted I've had it for 3 years, but there's only 22 of 111 GB left and I don't have any kind of games or lots of videos or memory-hogging things in the hard-drive...just pictures and music and word documents)...please help with suggestions etc. so using the internet and trying to do things other than type on my computer aren't so frustrating! Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
You don't say how much memory you do have installed. So maybe more RAM and definitely a larger HDD. Also open Activity Monitor to see if any specific utility or app is using a great deal of resources. When was last time you verified and repaired permissions in Disk Utility?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
(granted I've had it for 3 years, but there's only 22 of 111 GB left Thanks!

From my short time on this forum it is my understanding that Mac OS likes a lot of free space. I don't know if 22 GB of 111 is a lot. It may be getting on the low side for optimal performance.

However based on what I read on Mac-Forums Mac Keeper is not good software and may be a contributing factor to your woes. You may want to do some troubleshooting with help from others. You can probably Google how to remove that software though I think it is very difficult. Your best choice may be to get a larger HDD and then start with a fresh install.

Regards,

Pat

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.