• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Microsoft plans to counter Apple by building 75 retail stores in 2-3 years

Reaction score
Microsoft plans to counter Apple by building 75 retail stores in 2-3 years

Microsoft plans to massively expand its retail presence to take in the U.S. in the next 2 to 3 years, with an aggressive goal of 75 new stores to take on Apple's own retail operations.

pixel
p-8bUhLiluj0fAw.gif
adscout.php

Read more

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have to ask why? Is Microsoft planning on selling hardware, building their own machines? I guess they can stock their keyboards, mice, and other minor accessories they've sold over the years, and of course software, but why do they need 75 retail stores to do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
A microsoft store makes no sense for me when all they want to do is counter Apple. They don't make their own computers, just the stuff that chscag mentioned. This is more of an empty counter that requires to countering back. What makes more sense is is HP/Dell/Sony had their own stores to display their stuff.

Reaction score
Apple has 300+ stores...and those maps still are nowhere near that.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Not even Microsoft will put a store in Toledo!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have not figured out what they are actually trying to sell that I can't get at other stores. I was nervous about Apple's start in retail but at least that made sense. They have hardware, beyond keyboards and mice, that can be sold.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
One pop up in Costa Mesa and I didn't even know about it. >_>"

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Maybe they will sell Windows 8 with the 7 Mobile ugly icons all over the screen with full cloud support. Otherwise what else do they have?

Maybe they will start an APP Store too! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
A more effective counter by Microsoft might be to actually come up with an original idea instead of copying Apple. ;)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
A more effective counter by Microsoft might be to actually come up with an original idea instead of copying Apple. ;)

But but they are so good at it. <_<"

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I have not figured out what they are actually trying to sell that I can't get at other stores. I was nervous about Apple's start in retail but at least that made sense. They have hardware, beyond keyboards and mice, that can be sold.

My main sentiment as to why I'd like an Apple store is the customer service. That could be another why Microsoft is making these stores.

I really love hearing some of the stories members have on Mac-forums, where they take in a defective Apple product and the Apple store goes above and beyond to satisfy them.

Where I live, we have an Apple reseller that is an Authorized Apple Service Provider. That's great and all, but they don't have the resources to go above and beyond; they can barely reach reach the "go" in "go above and beyond". There have been times, where they give me a hard time, if I want to return an opened item that wasn't to my satisfaction. I refuse to do business with them at every turn; I only take advantage that they can repair my Macs under AppleCare.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You all do realize that the entire point of Apple's stores isn't necessarily to sell new product directly right? It's a nice byproduct, but that was not the point of their retail strategy.

Apple's retail strategy was about creating a space that helped build Apple's brand and gave them a place to experience Apple products or Mac OS X. It was about the experience it provided, that was their genius.

Microsoft doesn't need to build or sell their own machines, they can use partners for the displays in their stores. And they do have some of their own hardware, phones, and accessories. But I'm sure the main point is again, about promoting an experience which then eventually turns into brand-share and purchases.

Now whether it will work or not, who knows, but my main point is that those of you focusing on the fact that MS doesn't make their own machines are not understanding the point of either an Apple Store or a Microsoft Store.

Just because I can buy a machine at another store, doesn't mean Microsoft shouldn't have a place where they control the experience and "sell" the Microsoft ideal. Apple did the same thing with their stores. Compare the experience you get at an Apple store vs Best Buy...and just think about that for a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My main sentiment as to why I'd like an Apple store is the customer service. That could be another why Microsoft is making these stores.

I really love hearing some of the stories members have on Mac-forums, where they take in a defective Apple product and the Apple store goes above and beyond to satisfy them.

Where I live, we have an Apple reseller that is an Authorized Apple Service Provider. That's great and all, but they don't have the resources to go above and beyond; they can barely reach reach the "go" in "go above and beyond". There have been times, where they give me a hard time, if I want to return an opened item that wasn't to my satisfaction. I refuse to do business with them at every turn; I only take advantage that they can repair my Macs under AppleCare.

Why not stop complaining and just drive the 30 mins or so up to Ann Arbor's Apple Store? :p

Oh and MI has lowers sales tax anyway. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Interesting, because there are certainly things that Apple has also copied from MS.

Oh and care to look back in history and see how many ideas Apple has stolen from their own dev community and ruined many small dev shops without giving them any credit? ;)

Just be careful what you're accusing people of without looking at your own house first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe they will sell Windows 8 with the 7 Mobile ugly icons all over the screen with full cloud support. Otherwise what else do they have?

Maybe they will start an APP Store too! :D

Personally I really like the Windows Phone UI. ;)

Reaction score
One thing I'll give Microsoft credit for is that they've been a unifying force in technology. Insisting that IBM license DOS may have been a Machiavellian move on the part of Gates, but the effect of MS-DOS existing on IBM, Compaq, Packard-Bell, and HP systems was powerfully influential, and helped (in my opinion) to keep these vendors on a similar path.

Their retail strategy could be initiated along similar lines. Get all the PC vendors together under one roof, running one system, and showing off the variety of those systems and their capabilities. Such a move could have an effect of tying the manufacturers, in a way, to Microsoft once again, and more importantly, allowing Microsoft to influence their direction.

My two cents :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
. . .Just because I can buy a machine at another store, doesn't mean Microsoft shouldn't have a place where they control the experience and "sell" the Microsoft ideal. . . .

This is not an argument, but a genuinely curious question. You made a good point, but I can not for the life of me think of what the "Microsoft ideal" is.

So, what in your opinion is it that they would be selling?

EDIT: Given that your point is correct (and I think it is) the success of Microsoft's expansion of their retail presence would hinge on their being able to articulate this in a way the public will buy into.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
As a new iMac owner, I appreciate the detailed information and assistance I can get at an Apple store. This goes far beyond just seeing new products. It involves in depth knowledge of each machine by a sales rep as well as helpful answers to questions. Microsoft has never given any support directly to consumers, but relies on its vendors. Because of the variety of equipment that Windows runs on, it would be very difficult for them to duplicate the experience at an Apple Store. They could know Windows (in all its varieties) inside and out, but they could not know all the possible ramifications of the configuration of my machine.

At best, the Microsoft Store would be a showcase for their software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Microsoft has never given any support directly to consumers, but relies on its vendors.

That is completely incorrect. Beyond directly supporting the hardware they sell, they also support all their software including Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is not an argument, but a genuinely curious question. You made a good point, but I can not for the life of me think of what the "Microsoft ideal" is.

How about an environment that is positive for showcasing their software and hardware (you know phones, xbox, peripherals in addition to partner PCs). How about having it staffed with knowledgeable people instead of stupid 16 year old Best Buy employees?

So, what in your opinion is it that they would be selling?

Already answered this in my first post. Everyone is focusing too much on what will be sold physically there, and that's not the point...nor is it actually the point of an Apple store.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.