What has happened to my mac

Reaction score
For a start I have a mac pro. Not sure of the exact year, but it was the first one that used the intel proccessor. I am running the newest version of snow leapord.

ok, so lately my mac has been freaking out. It started when I was online. all of a sudden i got this shadowy line starting moving down the screen. Then my mac froze. I manually turned it off and when I tried to start it again it went to the screen with the apple then froze. I tried starting it in safe mode and I got the grey line going down again at the apple screen and i got this weird text on the right side.

Now I tried turning my mac on again and it takes foooorrrreeevvveeerrrrr to load and seems verry slow. It also sounds as if the fan is working harder. Any ideas of what might have happened?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

All Mac Pros use the Intel processors, beginning with the Mac Pro 1.1 release in 2006. Boot from your system install disk and go to Utilities > Disk Utitlity and run Repair Disk from there. If all is well and good, boot from disc one of your original discs you got with the Mac Pro, hold down 'D' after the chime, and run Apple Hardware Test in extended mode which will check out the logic board, memory and graphic card.

Have you ever opened the Mac Pro up and given it a real good clean out? The fans become very dusty and even caked with dirt on occasions. Also download Onyx from the Apple web site and use that for system maintenance.

Keep us posted on how you go?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.