• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Windows Vista preview on CNET.COM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD
man oh man, doesn't the new windows os seem so similar to OS X??

LOL.

i know microsoft was modeling their OS after apple but ****, they are playing catch up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
He may have been talking about this video .

I posted this in another thread:

me said:
I attended a PC Magazine sponsored event called "Everything Longhorn" a few weeks ago.

The general consensus was that it was very Mac-like, and from the beta demo they're right. The "Aero" interface has a lot of transparency, drop shadows, and zooming and fading, which are not new to OSX users. They've also added something called "Safe Sleep" and "Quick Resume" which, again, are not new to Mac users.

IE7 will have tabbed browsing and RSS support. Outlook Express will have built-in spam filtering. "Search" is everywhere. Users with Admin rights will still have to authenticate before doing true Admin-type tasks. Stop me if any of these sound familiar. :)

It was difficult to say how well applications would run on it, as they were simply showing what was built into the OS at this point.

The minimum requirements for hardware running Longhorn/Vista is 512 MB of RAM and a video card with 32 bits/pixel and 64 MB of graphics RAM. The hardware must carry a "certified for Windows XP" label (or, more accurately, meet the requirements to carry such a sticker).

Like johnny said above, Microsoft keeps dropping features from the OS. I heard on the TWIT podcast a few weeks ago that WINFS is not currently on the schedule to be included in Vista at all. (Of course, they also repeated the rumor that there are to be seven different versions of Vista available, depending on the features you want.)

Moral of the story-- if you want to wait and your HP can handle it, get Vista. My recommendation: all these features are in OSX right now, so go for a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Mod Note: Moving this since it has nothing to do with OS X. Please make sure to use the correct forums.

P

phantasma

yep I read about it when vista was still long horn, and in everynews article they compare it to " Apple's OSX Tiger". Hah it is OSX but the look of windows, from its dynamic folders, its new search that is almost identical to spotlight, its limited user accounts, its what OSX would look like if it was windows bleh. the only thing vista will feature that isnt on osx is the 3DUI, ohhh wow, who cares, most computers, let alone the average user wont even get excited about that one.

M

Morrigan

In that video, the guy ACTUALLY SAYS "Borrowing from Apple's Tiger OS..." when he talks about the new search feature.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.