External Hard Drive Mounting Issues

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

Problem:

My G Technologies external hard drive mounts inconsistently since the Pro Tools session I was working on today crashed. When it does manage to mount my Trash Bin on the dock fills up with trash automatically and this trash cannot be emptied.

In addition I have been unable to even open up my external hard drive on the desktop once it has mounted--I get the infinite pinwheel of death! If it does open, I'll eventually get to a folder that upon opening also brings up the pinwheel of death. Each time this happens I am forced to manually shut down my computer. Any suggestions? You help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you in advance.

I'm using a MacBook Pro with OSX 10.4.11 and it has a Intel Core 2 Duo processor. The ports I'm using with the external hard drive is Firewire 800.

C

chas_m

It sounds like the directory of the external has been well butchered by the crash. This would, for me, be the moment where I reach for my backups -- but failing that, it would be the moment when I reach for Disk Warrior to repair the directory.

Reaction score
External Drive Problems

I have been having similar troubles with G-Tech drives. I recently purchased a G-Raid mini and replaced the drives with two 500gb Hybrid drives that are suposed to be really quick. In Raid 0 mode they both were seen as one large 1tb drive. I say were beacuse one or both just failed. Locked up my computer pretty seriously and I do not know what happened. Thought maybe heat, but G-Tech support no help at all. Once they heard that I broke the seal on the unit they pretty much did not want to talk to me at all. Other troubles - I had the G-Raid mini plugged into the Expresscard (eSATA) port on my MACBook Pro and another G-Drive mini plugged into the FW 800 port. Every tenth or so boot, would lock up the the computer so I would have to turn of the G-mini and boot again.

My question is similar. Is there anyway I can get around re-formatting the drvies and starting over? I have almost 1 TB of sample data on the Raid device and it will take a long time to restore. Problem is, it won't mount at all and Disk Utitlity won't even see the drive.

You mentioned Disk Warrior, might that help?

Brings up another question which might be why you are having trouble with yours. If I am using an exteranl drive to just trigger samples and contain sample libraries and do not intend to save any data to the drive, why does it need to be Journalled? I noticed before it failed, that the drive light was going crazy and I was not in any programs that needed to access it before I shut down.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to correct forum. Does not belong in "Music.......". Please read our forum descriptions prior to posting. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.