I have spent many years in the Windows jungle...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Air (Late 2008) 1.6Ghz, 2GB RAM 120GB HDD
But now, I am home.

Bought a 15' A1211 (upgraded) off of craigslist a few weeks ago. I have had an iPad and an iPhone for a while, and I figured I'd take the plunge into the full Apple eco-system and see what it was like.

Wow.

I gotta tell you, after only a few weeks with my Macbook Pro....I feel like I'm home. Everything from the build quality of this machine, to the way the OS works, to the little things that you didn't know you were missing until you tried a Mac. I am more than impressed.

Just wanted to say 'Hi' to the new crew I'll be running with for a long, long, long time. Recent convert, true believer. I'm only installing Boot Camp because I'm not spending another $150 on Office this year (just bought it).

Anyway, as you can tell, I love my new (old) Mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX
Yep, I'm a little over a month into my switch after 20+ years in fog....never going back. Nice to see clearly for a change huh?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It really is. The only regret I have is that I didn't switch in 1996 when I got my first PC, lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17"(2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB mem), 21.5" Imac, 15" MBP (2.4 ghz) all running ML
That's what happens! When you buy your first Apple product, more are soon to follow. I started with an iMac and now have added 2 mbp, iPad and 2 iPhones. I can't even look at a Windows machine anymore. Although they do say Windows 7 is very good.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Windows 7 was better than previous Windows versions, sure. But here's two examples of why I'm so satisfied with my decision.

1) You don't realize how hard you work to keep your Windows machine working right, until you don't have to do it anymore. Task managers, rouge services sucking processor resources, malware scans, etc. The time I spend on my computer is at least twice as productive as it was under Windows. No exaggeration. And to be honest, I'm still learning how to use OS-X. That's only going to get better.

2) As I mentioned, I bought an A1211 MBP, built in 2006. This 5yr old Mac has a dual core 2.16Ghz processor with 3GB of RAM and a 500GB hard drive. The original battery that I'm still using is still holding about 85% of it's charge, and will go a solid 3 hrs without needing to plug it in. This MBP is faster than my two year old W7 laptop it replaced. I mean, it still FLIES. This kind of longevity and performance is completely unheard-of in Windowsville. And I know that in a year or two when I graduate from this 'training Mac' into a new machine, I won't have to follow the typical 24mo Windows upgrade cycle that I've been on my whole life. So in the long run, a $2400 MBP that lasts 5-6 years is a better deal than $600 Windows machines that last about 2 years if you factor in the added productivity of not having to fuss with the stupid thing constantly to get it to work right.

I have more examples, but those are the two that stand out to me so far. And don't even get me started on bundled software, lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX
Yup...my journey all started with a iPod classic...their hardware just feels SOLID. Like they took time creating it. You never feel like you are holding a toy.

Next, I got an iPad for Christmas as a gift. The added productivity I got from that thing along with the absolute rock solid nature of that device lead me to try to venture into the Mac World.

Happened to be walking into one of my favorite stores in the mall (which is as close to an apple store as we get in the boonies) and they were having a sale on last years models.

So I walked out of there with a 27' iMac and have been blown away by it. Never going back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
. . . . . I have had an iPad and an iPhone for a while, and I figured I'd take the plunge into the full Apple eco-system and see what it was like.

And this is Steves brain child. Hook, Line and Sinker ;P

Windows 7 was better than previous Windows versions, sure. But here's two examples of why I'm so satisfied with my decision.

1) You don't realize how hard you work to keep your Windows machine working right, until you don't have to do it anymore. Task managers, rouge services sucking processor resources, malware scans, etc. The time I spend on my computer is at least twice as productive as it was under Windows. No exaggeration. And to be honest, I'm still learning how to use OS-X. That's only going to get better.

And that is the reason we like our OS so much. Yes the Hardware looks awesome so thats a bonus IMHO, but honestly im a Mac convert for the sole purpose of the beauty and ease of use of the OS. And it JUST WORKS lol and integrates with the other Apple products so so easy.

Welcome the the world of Mac and the forum. It is a great resource of knowledge, with some switched on members and some well just out to cause trouble ... *cough, cough*

In all serious enjoy your machine and be sure to return.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
Always nice to hear that folks are pleased with a switch over. Congrats to all of you here with a new/recent Mac purchase! As you've hopefully noticed, the Apple community is also a wonderful place to be. Not only is using Apple's hardware/software fun, efficient, and easy, but the community behind the product is (from my experience) one of the most welcoming and friendly around!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I always used windows and i said I would never buy a mac, then i got 4 iPods, an iPhone and then I realized that the mac was just amazing and I got a MacBook pro and an iPad2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"

When I read this, I actually stopped and looked to see who wrote this, because I have been saying the exact same thing for the past three-and-a-half years.

Reaction score
That's great you love the new machine man; I felt the same way after I got my first (and used) black Macbook. It's an amazing machine (all of the Macs are) and once you get a real feel for the OS and find some really good, productive applications, you'll never want to go back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", i7 2GHz Quad Core, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, OS X 10.7.1 - iPhone 3GS
Welcome aboard! I just made the switch recently myself and could not be happier.

If you really want to avoid any residual Windows crutches, you do have a choice for a free office productivity pack. I use Open Office and it does the job for me with spreadsheets and any word processing, like writing papers for college or a resume.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.