Airport clarification

Reaction score
Hi all. i am new to Apple products ... computers in general and am paranoid about something. My internet usage is being used quicker than it should be and then I find this 'Airport' thing (which I assume is the same as Wireless Network Connections on my PC at work?) and it has a list of other names in it.

Some of the names on the list I know as my neighbours some I don't know. SO I'm wondering what is this list exactly? So my question is, are:

~these other people I can talk to some how on my mac.
~the names just a list of people in my network (like on the PC at work) or worse (and most importantly what Im worried about)
~these the names of people that are using up my internet?!?!?!?!

Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi all. i am new to Apple products ... computers in general and am paranoid about something. My internet usage is being used quicker than it should be and then I find this 'Airport' thing (which I assume is the same as Wireless Network Connections on my PC at work?) and it has a list of other names in it.

Some of the names on the list I know as my neighbours some I don't know. SO I'm wondering what is this list exactly? So my question is, are:

~these other people I can talk to some how on my mac.
~the names just a list of people in my network (like on the PC at work) or worse (and most importantly what Im worried about)
~these the names of people that are using up my internet?!?!?!?!

Thank you in advance.

That list of names would be other wireless routers within range of your computer. No need to worry about them… just connect to your own. But… if you can see theirs, then they can see yours. Do you have a password set up for accessing your wireless service? If not, then anyone could be connecting and using it freely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Wireless networks, by default, broadcast their names to make them easier to find and join. Think of carnival barkers trying to draw customers in. If there's a lock by the name, then the network is using some sort of encryption and requires a password to join. If not, it's open and unprotected.

You may also configure your wireless network as a "closed" network, where the network name is not broadcasted. The upside to this is your neighbors won't see it in their list of wireless networks. The downside is you will have to type in the name of the network to join it, at least the first time. It's not super secure, as the name can be discovered, or once joined, it's in the wireless history.

OP
Spikepit
Reaction score
So they cannot be using my internet at all if I have a password? Which I do (a really complex one at that), meaning that my internet is getting used because of another reason, not some else using my internet?

I just want to be certain. Thank you so so so much for noviceness!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Unless they know the password, no, they won't be able to use your wireless. I encourage you to use WPA encryption, ideally WPA2. WEP encryption has been compromised so that capturing a relatively few packets can provide enough information to decrypt the key.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As EvenStranger suggests, WPA2 Personal with a 13 numerical/alphabetical combined password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've mentioned before using "pass phrases" or a sentence which is meaningful to you to create a secure password. Let's say for example I choose "My parents were 23 when they got married." I use the first initial of each word - Mpw23wtgm. I now have a password containing upper and lowercase characters, numbers and punctuation. Very secure, memorable, and virtually impervious to a brute force attack.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.