are you able to use ipad without a computer?

Reaction score
Hi i just looked at the online product data and noticed you need to sync the ipad before you can use it. I don't have a computer.... you ask how then i post on here? Well i am at the library.

I don't own a computer but have been keen on the ipad as a way of getting on the net and using it for photo and gaming, using free app's etc. I saw it as an alternative to buying a computer.

Is it viable? or should i just save up for another twelve months and buy a computer.

A friend has an old ibook he said he is going to be replacing its a G4 with an 80 gig hard drive running os10.4.9. Is this possible to sync with the ipad? I could get that from him to use sometimes i guess untill he sells it. I cant afford both ipad and ibook he needs his money for his ibook so he can't just give it to me.

Thanks for your help.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No, you cannot start up an iPad without syncing to a computer (at this time).

No, you will not be able to sync an iPad to an old G4.

Wait until iOS 5 is released and comes pre-installed on the iPads this fall and it will no longer require the use of a computer.

The top of the line iBook as worth no more than "maybe" $125. Any more than that, and let them sell it to some other suck.. er... that is, customer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
i wonder if you could temporary sync it to the library computer just to get it started. then from that point on you can download apps and stuff right from within the ipad. my ipad 1 hasnt been synched in 7 months.

also no need to save for 12 months to get a computer. go to newegg and sort laptop by price. they start at 300 usd and the ones that are 500 or the same as an ipad well, they are not to bad at all.

heck you can even sync to a netbook. they have refurbished netbooks at newegg for 130 usd.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you both for the replies. I am based in the uk and i guess if i buy a used net book i wouldn't need an ipad.... shame though cause i kinda liked the idea of owning one, and i guess you can do more with a netbook/laptop than an ipad like word processing and stuff. How narrow minded of Apple thats £500 they wont get isn't it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Unless you are willing to wait until Fall for the iPad to ship with iOS 5. Only a few months away and then you won't need a computer to use the iPad.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
.... shame though cause i kinda liked the idea of owning one, and i guess you can do more with a netbook/laptop than an ipad like word processing and stuff. How narrow minded of Apple thats £500 they wont get isn't it.

While I wouldn't want to write longer documents such as a thesis with it there are word processors for the iPad. For extended use it might be good to have a bluetooth keyboard rather than use the virtual keyboard. Several of these programs can read/write in Word format.

Reaction score
To me, this is the biggest reason Android 3.0 Honeycomb devices still are better then anything Apple currently has to offer. Once the iPad can function as a stand alone device, it will truly then be the best pad type device on the market.

May God bless.

Ed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I believe that if you ask someone in the apple store, they will do the initial iPad set up for you in store. After that you should be able to use the iPad, but you won't be able to update it. iOS 5 will allow for more independence from a computer, but I believe you will still need a computer for full OS upgrades (like from iOS 5 to iOS 6) I could be wrong.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My close friend has an Android OS tablet. They hate it and after fighting with it and the so called App Store they have in Android OS, I agree. Made me thank God for my iPad. Sorry, that is how I see it and I have messed with it for over a week. I keep RUNNING back to my iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I have seen people in the local Apple store get their iPads activated on the spot.
I have personally activated a friend's iPad after helping him get his iTunes account set up.
I have personally activated 20 more for work.

No, a computer is NOT required to use an iPad. But a computer IS required to: activate, backup, upgrade. When iOS5 comes out, a computer will not be required.

For me, I have a computer, 450gb of itunes library and backups and even with iOS5, I will not be changing my iPad workflow of backup/swap/install that I use now.

Reaction score
My close friend has an Android OS tablet. They hate it and after fighting with it and the so called App Store they have in Android OS, I agree. Made me thank God for my iPad. Sorry, that is how I see it and I have messed with it for over a week. I keep RUNNING back to my iPad.

First I would have to ask which Android tablet (not all are created equal) and what version of Android (2.2 Froyo, 3.0 Honeycomb, etc.)? Honeycomb works great on my Motorola Xoom (flash and all). Also, it is the "Android Market Place". I have the iPad2 and yes it is fast and smooth, but it is not a truly stand alone tablet. Honeycomb 3.0 based tablets are run alone ready right out of the box. Also, the google browsing experience is just like using google chrome on a regular computer (whether it be a Windows machine or a Mac). Yes, I do agree with you that the Android market place is not up to the Apple App store proficiency. Plus to be quite honest in Apple's defense, Apps you get from the App Store are very stable. I have downloaded quite a few things from the Android market place that were just plain crap and never worked. I never had this negative of a experience with any Apple App from the App Store.

Take Care and May God Bless.

Ed:)

C

chas_m

It is an honour and privilege to have one of the incredibly rare breed -- an actual Xoom owner -- in our midst. The few, the proud. :)

Reaction score
It is an honour and privilege to have one of the incredibly rare breed -- an actual Xoom owner -- in our midst. The few, the proud. :)

Yes, you do have one part right, the few. But to be quite honest it is not a bad tablet device. The latest update to Honeycomb (3.2) makes the Xoom fly. I just got it to get the Android experience. I always hate it when one side bashes the other, without even experiencing the other side. I love them both, Apple and Android. Why limit yourself. Besides, how can you really make an honest assessment/comparison between iOS and Android when all you really stuck to was one side of the equation? Some very good points brought up about the "Android Market Place" from other forum members that are true. As I stated earlier, the only true kink in the iPad's armor is its lack of being a stand alone tablet (something Android tablets can claim, again however there are some good Android tablets and there are some that are just plain garbage). I liked the Xoom because it was the first Android Tablet to use Honeycomb 3.0. Once Apple makes the iPad a true stand alone device (iOS 5), then Android tablets are going to have to do something new to get that one edge back that they lost. It should be interesting.

May God Bless!

Ed:Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.