Migrating Snow Leopard from External

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3 MBP (2009) 6GB DDR3 1066 , 500GB Seagate Momentus XT (Hybrid SSD-HD)
This is my first post so hello to this community!

I recently upgraded my Macbook pro 13.3 (2009) with 6GB from the original 2GB, as well as a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB Hybrid SSD/HD. I used Superduper to clone and then installed my new HD. I could not get this HD to boot for the life of me. I tried putting in my OSX OEM disc and installed a fresh OSX on this drive after wiping what i previously cloned.

1.) Can i still migrate Snow leopard as well as all of my applications and music back to this new HD?
2.) Should i just go and Buy snow Leopard seeing as the afghani's sell it for 10$?

Im kind of stuck here!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What version of OS X is on the machine right now? You stated that the new hard drive would not boot after you cloned the system to it using SuperDuper. So what are you booting with? Not sure I understand the question about migrating Snow Leopard and your apps? Migrate from where?

And yes, if you can buy Snow Leopard there for $10, buy it.

OP
durand216
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am running the BASE 2009 Leopard currently. This may change at the end of the day since I left my macbook open all day to recieve the updates ( Afghan Internet is about 128Kps or slower ). Here is a brief overview on what i had done. I cloned the new 500GB HD using an external case through firewire. Once cloned i had disconnected my OEM 160GB HD and just swapped out. When trying to boot from the 500GB HD it would hang at the apple logo. I tried to update the firmware on my 500GB as well as trying to boot from firewire while my 160GB HD was connected through SATA internal. The question im trying to convey is if im running straight leopard right now, is there anyway to port my OSX Snow Leopard to this new HD? or do i need to start from scratch?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, I understand now. No, unfortunately you need to start over. Make sure though that the Snow Leopard DVD you buy over there is the retail version otherwise it may not work.

OP
durand216
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the clarification, maybe it would be best to start out again. The afghan's here sell the "RETAIL" snow leopard but 9/10 its usually a downloaded copy from a torrent site that you can just register with a "KEY" if you get my drift.

By looking at the upgrades i just installed into this MBP, do you think im going to see any high yield gain in performance in terms of daily computing? gaming?

I appreciate your help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Installing a faster hard drive and adding memory will help in the overall computing ability of the machine. However, games need graphic power and that's something you can't do anything about. The graphic chipset in your MBP can not be upgraded without buying a new MBP.

As far as buying Snow Leopard over there, I wouldn't. You can get a copy of Snow Leopard from the on line Apple store. I don't know if they ship to APO/FPO addresses though. Also, your local PX (if you're near one) exchange should stock it. Otherwise you're just going to have to wait until you're stateside. Also keep in mind that Apple will be releasing Lion this week but it requires Snow Leopard 10.6.6 before you can install it.

Stay safe over there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.